• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Name Change Quest but different

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

young&dumb94

What is the name of your state? VA

A while back, I was in the process of taking the alleged father through the state court system and after waiting for them for about a year with no progress, I decided to get a Peace of Mind DNA test through this company just so we would know if he was the biodad or not. Granted, it was a "gather the specimans yourself and turn it in" test but nevertheless, a DNA test. I couldn't affort the $500+ the others were asking for. To my surprise, it came back positive and I was elated that I finally knew who the biodad was. We (the alleged father and I) talked about changing his last name and after much discussion, we changed his last name to the alleged father through the CA courts where my son was born. Two years later, after I retained a private attorney because the state were still dragging their feet, the alleged father requested a second DNA test. I wondered why was he dragging it out when we already had the results and my son had his last name after he signed an acknowledgement of paternity form. I know why now he wanted the second test because that test came out negative and concluded he is not the biodad and now my case has been dismissed but not the money I still owe. (I believe that he somehow find someone who looks like him to take the test. the similarities between my son and his daughter are uncanny) I want to change his name back to my last name like it orginally was and I'm unsure on how to do that. Also, I am questioning the legal matter that he DID sign that acknowledgement of paternity form given the results of the first test. I look forward to any advice to help me out. Thank you.

M

manda2020

This site may help you out in the name changing.
http://www.denbighlaw.com/namechange.html

HOW IS PATERNITY ESTABLISHED?
Both parents can acknowledge paternity voluntarily. Both parents only need to sign an Acknowledgment of Paternity (AOP) form under oath. The most convenient place to sign the AOP is at the hospital before the mother and child are discharged. This is a free service offered by all birthing hospitals and requires that the father present a photo ID to the birth registrar before he signs the form.

Establishing paternity at the hospital gives a child a legal father immediately and insures that the child’s original birth certificate includes the father’s name.

If parents are unable to establish paternity at the hospital, the AOP form is available at the Office of Vital Records in Richmond, local health department clinics, local departments of social services, and local child support offices.

Paternity can also be established by voluntary blood testing to prove the identity of the father.

Source http://www.birthconnections.com/nvcn/paternity.htm

this may also help you out.

kat1963

VA passed a paternity fraud bill. Doesn't matter what he signed since the DNA doesn't fit. You can make a request to have the next level of DNA testing done & that you are there when he provides his sample. It would be up to the judge to grant the motion however.
My friend's daughter had the ol' switcharoonie played on her too.
Good Luck!
KAT

Y

young&dumb94

oh really?

huh, that's interesting and good to know. How did they find out that the alleged father did the switch?

Back to my original post, I know this may seem cowardly but I just want to forget about it, change his name back and move on. Since he did sign an acknowledgement of paternity in the state of CA, will that affect me changing his last name back to mine?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">