• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attempting to Find Ward of State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arashid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My brother and I are attempting to find our brother who was made a ward of the state in the late 1960s. He was made a ward of the state by my mother because he was so severely mentally retarded (apparently he had the functioning of a 2 year old) she couldn't afford to keep up his medical needs. I have just recently learned of this brother and would like to make sure that all of his needs are being addressed. I do not want to disrupt his life in any way. Another brother of mine attempted to find him earlier, but was told that due to privacy standards this information cannot be released and can only be done if the person (my brother who is severely mentally retarded) wishes to release this information. Where do we can from here? Should we hire a PI? What possible recourse can we have? I am perplexed about how to proceed. Thank you for your time.

FarmerJ

you wrote > but was told that due to privacy standards this information cannot be released and can only be done if the person (my brother who is severely mentally retarded) wishes to release this information. Where do we can from here? Should we hire a PI? What possible recourse can we have? I am perplexed about how to proceed. < << First off I would suggest speaking to a social services supervisor about this , I cannot see why if you and your mom are able to use birth records to establish your relationship that a court appointed guardian and the county case worker cannot get in touch with the program coordinator of the home/facility he lives in and discuss your meeting him, It does not mean that control of his case or his guardianship would change it only would mean that you would be able to visit ,visits can be in the clients current home. The PC and unit / homes manager are obligated to keep the client safe but cannot deny contact unless its been proven to be a harmful relationship when it comes to family members. IF nothing else do not be surprised if you must retain a atty who has experiance in family oriented law. ALSO dont be shocked if this sibling is found to be living in a facility in a distant local (rural area) although there are many group homes in urban areas that are staffed 24/7 there are far more in rural areas where clients are alot safer from the general public. YES the general public , people who think they are normal are sometimes pretty damn rude to DD people.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">