• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aunts' rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WendyM

I would like to know what rights I have as an Aunt. My ex- sister-in-law has recently become involved in an old relationship and has cut off contact between my niece and nephew from myself and also the childrens grandparents. I can't prove that the children are in any danger, however, when she was previously involved with this man she confided in myself that he had become verbally and psychologically abusive to the children. Since my brothers' divorce he has not been able to keep contact for mental and physical reasons so I have always kept the door open for her and her children(2 are my brothers and 3 are from 2 other men). It has been 12 years of myself and my other family members trying to help her out in any way possible and I feel that she should not be allowed to keep these children from seeing any of us. In the state of Maryland can you tell me what my rights are?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

WendyM said:
I would like to know what rights I have as an Aunt. My ex- sister-in-law has recently become involved in an old relationship and has cut off contact between my niece and nephew from myself and also the childrens grandparents. I can't prove that the children are in any danger, however, when she was previously involved with this man she confided in myself that he had become verbally and psychologically abusive to the children. Since my brothers' divorce he has not been able to keep contact for mental and physical reasons so I have always kept the door open for her and her children(2 are my brothers and 3 are from 2 other men). It has been 12 years of myself and my other family members trying to help her out in any way possible and I feel that she should not be allowed to keep these children from seeing any of us. In the state of Maryland can you tell me what my rights are?
My response:

You have no "rights", nor do your parents. Run a search for the United States Supreme Court decision in Troxel vs. Granville.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">