• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Baby ain't mine now what happens

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bdub25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina is the state

Okay my girl gets pregnant. I thought it was mine. She has the baby and I sign off on the birth certificate and affidavit of parentage on 8-23-08. I take a home dna test and the baby ain't mine. I file a stop motion on the affidavit in the 60 day time period I have. My question is this...what if she doesn't come to court on the scheduled day? I mailed her the information stating the court date. She contacted me acknowledging the letter however I sent it registered mail and have not received the confirmation but I know she has it. What can I do if she doesn't show up in court?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina is the state

Okay my girl gets pregnant. I thought it was mine. She has the baby and I sign off on the birth certificate and affidavit of parentage on 8-23-08. I take a home dna test and the baby ain't mine. I file a stop motion on the affidavit in the 60 day time period I have. My question is this...what if she doesn't come to court on the scheduled day? I mailed her the information stating the court date. She contacted me acknowledging the letter however I sent it registered mail and have not received the confirmation but I know she has it. What can I do if she doesn't show up in court?
If you can prove service, you ask for a default judgment stating that you are NOT the father of the child. If you can't prove service, you ask for a continuance until service can be perfected. OH and a HOME DNA test isn't worth squat.

LdiJ

If you can prove service, you ask for a default judgment stating that you are NOT the father of the child. If you can't prove service, you ask for a continuance until service can be perfected. OH and a HOME DNA test isn't worth squat.
Yep...you can expect the court to order a new DNA test unless mom agrees that the child is not yours. Even then the judge might decide to order a new test.

bdub25

I know a home dna test will not hold up in court but are you referring to the results not being worth squat either? I mean the website I ordered the test from said it was accreditted and the results were 99.9 % accurate.

LdiJ

I know a home dna test will not hold up in court but are you referring to the results not being worth squat either? I mean the website I ordered the test from said it was accreditted and the results were 99.9 % accurate.
Its still possible for it not to be accurate, because the samples could have been tainted when not done in a sterile, lab setting. Odds are that its accurate, but its not certain.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The results are not worth squat either quite frankly. Not to the court. You need to convince the court to order to order a NEW DNA test at an accredited, court accepted lab where chain of custody can be established. So what was the chain of custody EXACTLY of your sample?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">