• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Baby naming rules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kanad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Hi,
Me and my wife are going to have a baby daughter soon. We both want her to be named such that her middle name is my name, and her last name would be my wife's first name. We don't plan to use either of our family names. Just our first names. So for e.g. if my name is X Y Z (X=first name, Y= middle name, Z= last name), and my wife's name is A B C (A=first name, B=middle name, C=last name) we are planning to name our daughter P X A (P=first name, X=middle name, A=last name).

Is this allowed? Or do we have to use a family name?

Also we, me and my wife, are on immigrant Visa in US (Indian nationals). Will there be any problem in getting PIO/OCI cards for our daughter if we have such a name?

Thanks & Regards
Kanad

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Hi,
Me and my wife are going to have a baby daughter soon. We both want her to be named such that her middle name is my name, and her last name would be my wife's first name. We don't plan to use either of our family names. Just our first names. So for e.g. if my name is X Y Z (X=first name, Y= middle name, Z= last name), and my wife's name is A B C (A=first name, B=middle name, C=last name) we are planning to name our daughter P X A (P=first name, X=middle name, A=last name).

Is this allowed? Or do we have to use a family name?

Also we, me and my wife, are on immigrant Visa in US (Indian nationals). Will there be any problem in getting PIO/OCI cards for our daughter if we have such a name?

Thanks & Regards
Kanad
You can name your child whatever you want. I'll leave the rest of your question for others. :cool:

xylene

It is totally allowed, and I understand it is somewhat common to do exactly this.

If you don't mind me asking, are you folks adherents of the Indian Orthodox Christian Church? Other people I have known with this naming convention were, and that's why I ask. Either way, this is a thing plenty of people do.

eerelations

I know a lot of Sikhs and Hindis who did this, so maybe it's an Indian thing, rather than a religious thing.

Kanad

No we are not Christian or Sikh. We are a non-religious couple. And I haven't seen anybody, amongst our acquaintances or relatives, doing this. Hence the query.

Thanks for your responses!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">