• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JETX

Ask a local bank. However, TX is a community property state.
Not relevant (in response to the way the question was asked). Yes, as a community property state, it is possible (in theory) that the spouse could convince a bank officer to allow her access (but unlikely in my opinion that the bank would take that risk).
Also, the spouse could pursue a court order to allow access, but the account holder would likely remove funds immediately on notice of the legal action.

dad43

how'd she get the money out? atm? bank? cash a check you "signed" made out to her?

my wife and i have separate accounts, yet we both use each others atm cards, and she frequently writes checks to herself to cash if i'm offshore, and she needs money for daycare/food, and i do the same if i need to. do i usually give her permission first? crap no, i find out later...BUT i allow her "access" to those items above, and she allows them to me. so there's not much i can do about it.

have you brought this to your bank's attention? does she have some power of attorney you may be forgetting about? a general power of attorney can give her access to your funds...

JETX

how'd she get the money out? atm? bank? cash a check you "signed" made out to her?

my wife and i have separate accounts, yet we both use each others atm cards, and she frequently writes checks to herself to cash if i'm offshore, and she needs money for daycare/food, and i do the same if i need to. do i usually give her permission first? crap no, i find out later...BUT i allow her "access" to those items above, and she allows them to me. so there's not much i can do about it.

have you brought this to your bank's attention? does she have some power of attorney you may be forgetting about? a general power of attorney can give her access to your funds...
What the hell are you talking about??
The OP says nothing about her actually getting any money, via check or debit card.
You need to learn to COMPREHEND English.

penelope10

Although TX is a community property state, I don't think a spouse can just waltz into a bank and withdraw money without being on the account. Think of it this way, any monies earned etc. before the marriage, and not commingled are separate property. The bank could get into serious trouble I would think allowing a spouse to withdraw funds from an account that is the other spouse's separate property.

dad43

Texas, My question is can a wife take money out of a bank account that she is not listed on?
he didn't STATE HOW she could/would/did get the damned money! what i was saying is: if he has GIVEN HER ACCESS(an atm/debit card), then YES she could! but that if she went INTO A BANK(or cashed a fraudulent check! or used OP's debit card to send herself money), then NO she CANNOT!

people get angry all the time b/c you give someone your PIN, and they take MORE money than they said they would! BUT since you gave them access, it's YOUR fault for letting them have access:rolleyes:

he hasn't said she went into the bank...which is why i gave different circumstances! there are MANY MANY ways to get money out of a bank account WITHOUT entering a bank...

but no, technically NO ONE can access someone's accounts without being a signature holder on the account

Last edited:

BlondiePB

he didn't STATE HOW she could/would/did get the damned money! what i was saying is: if he has GIVEN HER ACCESS(an atm/debit card), then YES she could! but that if she went INTO A BANK(or cashed a fraudulent check!), then NO she CANNOT!

people get angry all the time b/c you give someone your PIN, and they take MORE money than they said they would! BUT since you gave them access, it's YOUR fault for letting them have access:rolleyes:

he hasn't said she went into the bank...which is why i gave different circumstances!
Asking the OP a simple question or two would have been much better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">