• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

been living together 8 years now splitting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vanessajune

we live in indiana we have been living together since March 2000. we have a house both trucks and some land in the country. he wants to give me nothing. both are names are on everything we have a loan on which is all of it! He wants me to walk away with my truck as far as the big things. he says he makes more monet then me so he igets more. when he didnt work i always paid the bills! how do we handle this! If feel i am intitled to half?

Last edited:

You'll have to look at the commonlaw rulings of your state. You weren't married so entitlement is not such a given. This would be handled like a business dissolution. If anything in particular doesn't seem to be quite right you can sue just like anyone else and have a judge settle it that way.

LdiJ

we live in indiana we have been living together since March 2000. we have a house both trucks and some land in the country. he wants to give me nothing. both are names are on everything we have a loan on which is all of it! He wants me to walk away with my truck as far as the big things. he says he makes more monet then me so he igets more. when he didnt work i always paid the bills! how do we handle this! If feel i am intitled to half?
Indiana does not recognize common law marriage.

However, you are 1/2 owner of everything. Therefore you are entitled to 1/2 of everything. He cannot keep it all because he makes more money than you do.:rolleyes:

However, since you are not married, that means to get your half, unless he cooperates, you will have to file a partition suit. That can be quite expensive. Get a consult with a real estate attorney.

Indiana does not recognize common law marriage.

However, you are 1/2 owner of everything. Therefore you are entitled to 1/2 of everything. He cannot keep it all because he makes more money than you do.:rolleyes:
I do try to be fair, but in this case I don't completely agree. They are both equally on the hook for the loans by virtue of being signed separately and severally, but I really think since they're not married, a judge is going to have to seriously look at proportion of input before dividing assets that are free and clear. I see this as an unusual circumstance where making more money equates to a stronger case in the end.

Whatever marriage may be seen as in the end, it does provide certain protections and advantages to the lower income party than they would otherwise have.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You'll have to look at the commonlaw rulings of your state. You weren't married so entitlement is not such a given. This would be handled like a business dissolution. If anything in particular doesn't seem to be quite right you can sue just like anyone else and have a judge settle it that way.

Common law rulings? What ARE you talking about? This is a property dispute not family law.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I do try to be fair, but in this case I don't completely agree. They are both equally on the hook for the loans by virtue of being signed separately and severally, but I really think since they're not married, a judge is going to have to seriously look at proportion of input before dividing assets that are free and clear. I see this as an unusual circumstance where making more money equates to a stronger case in the end.

Whatever marriage may be seen as in the end, it does provide certain protections and advantages to the lower income party than they would otherwise have.
Actually no. If they are both on the titles and deeds then they are both half owner due to title law. Unless the title specifically states that Vanessa is only entitled to 10%. If it doesn't give a percentage she is HALF owner. Now she has to be able to pay her bills and if she cannot afford the house she will not get it necessarily but he will have to buy her out or vice versa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">