• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bigamy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KLawrence_1961

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
I do not understand why no lawyers in my area of this state (western Oklahoma) will not do anything to help me in this situation. The situation being: I married a man and later found out that he is still legally married to 3 (at least) other women. I've been told I can have this marriage to him annulled by some lawyers, yet others tell me things will be really complicated and are not willing to take my case. What should I do and what exactly are the laws in this state concerning bigamy? I need advice desperately and any input anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

sunfall

I can't answer why the lawyers in your area won't help you; however, in looking through the OK state statutes, the laws on bigamy are fairly clear. Bigamy is a felony, punishable by 1-3 years in prison. It may be simpler (maybe through a lawyer if you can get one) to appeal to his self-interest to get it annulled to save himself facing charges.

Please understand, I am not a lawyer, nor affiliated in any way with the legal field.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">