• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bigamy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wolfdp

A year after separating from his first wife and leaving Montana where they were married, my husband's family told him that they had seen his name in the local newspaper as having been divorced. He and I were then married in Nevada. A year after that he received divorce papers in the mail dated a few weeks prior to his receiving them. Obviously this makes him a bigamist. The question is, are we really married? Or do we have to get married again? We live in Colorado now, but I was under the impression that a legal marriage in any state was legal in all 50? Are we legal at all? We have been "married" for over 8 years. Thanks

E

erev46

Legally I wouldn't think he is a bigamist, one would have to prove he intended to maintain both marriages but, that isn't an issue as long as no one is raising the question. Also, ignorance is never a good defense, he knew his responsiblity and should have made sure he was free to marry again. Remember, the waiting period to remarry is different from state to state so if you are intersted, check the Montana divorce law.
The answer to your question about being legally married is easily resolved at this point, assuming he is legally divorced, is to go get married again.

Good Luck

LegalBeagle

He can not just go and get married again, well he can but it will not fix the problem. The current marriage is not legit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">