• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bigamy in Wisconsin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kari41000

I am living in Wisconsin
I married my husband in October 2007. We have a 1 1/2 year child. I just found out that he is married to a woman in South Carolina since 1997 and has a child with her. I live in Wisconisn. I also found out this woman didn't file for divorce until October 2008. Now this past weekend, I found out he is married to another woman also! Needless to say we were in the process of a divorce due to me finding out about the 1st wife. What can I legally do to him? I had no idea he was ever married and he told me he wasn't.

Kari41000

I have not called any authorities on him as of yet. I just finished moving out this weekend when all of this came to light. I do have a divorce lawyer and was going to call there tomorrow to see what I need to do. Needless to say I have never been in this situation and just keep shaking my head wondering how I got here.

Will the police do something?

cyjeff

The police are charged with arresting people that violate the criminal code.

Bigamy is part of the criminal code.

cyjeff

The relevant statute...

944.05 Bigamy.

944.05(1)
(1) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a Class I felony:

944.05(1)(a)
(a) Contracts a marriage in this state with knowledge that his or her prior marriage is not dissolved; or

944.05(1)(b)
(b) Contracts a marriage in this state with knowledge that the prior marriage of the person he or she marries is not dissolved; or

944.05(1)(c)
(c) Cohabits in this state with a person whom he or she married outside this state with knowledge that his or her own prior marriage had not been dissolved or with knowledge that the prior marriage of the person he or she married had not been dissolved.

944.05(2)
(2) In this section "cohabit" means to live together under the representation or appearance of being married.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">