• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Biological Parent and Legal Adoption by a Step-Parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lvlollypopkid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada and California

I have a question regarding a biological parent's legal rights when a child has been adopted by a step-parent.

1. My husband has a biological daughter who is 13.
2. He was never made aware of the child until she was 10 years old.
3. The daughter was adopted by her step-father, who is her brother's biological father, in the state of California.
4. Daughter's mother and step-father divorced and the step-father, from what we know, pays child support.
5. My husband has been sharing visitation, of both his daughter and her half-brother, with their mother - with whom previously had a relationship with.
6. We currently reside in Nevada.

Does my husband have any legal standing in terms of his daughter?

ecmst12

It is very kind of the child's legal parents to allow the biological father to have a relationship with her. But the biological father has no legal rights whatsoever.

lvlollypopkid

It is very kind of the child's legal parents to allow the biological father to have a relationship with her. But the biological father has no legal rights whatsoever.

I take it that it does not make a difference that the step-father is no longer in the picture, does it?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I apologize for my misstep in wording.
I've only known my husband to be their father.
I refer to their mother's ex-husband as a "step-father" even if it's not the correct term.
Dad is the guy who adopted.

Your husband has as many rights to those children as any of us here on the forum. :cool:

lvlollypopkid

Dad is the guy who adopted.

Your husband has as many rights to those children as any of us here on the forum. :cool:
That is what I was thinking.
Based off my limited knowledge of family law.
That he has as much legal standing with the kids as I do.

Just needed some more input from those more knowledgeable or those who have been in similar situations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">