• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birth Certificate AFTER Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

Ulf_Alexander

i was born in florida. my birth certificate reflected my father's name for my last name. my father died when i was two. my mother remarried, moved to texas and legally changed my name to my stepfather's last name. i assume my step father legally "adopted" me for the name change. i need a copy of my birth certificate for a passport. i don't know where to go. if i write florida my birth certificate reflects my birth name. where do i get a birth certificate that will reflect the name i've had since ten years old? thank you.

G

Grandma B

You're likely in for a real hassle. IF there was an adoption, a new birth certificate would have been issued and the old one destroyed.. Is your mother deceased so that you can't get information from her?

Hopefully you can get the ear of a sympathetic person at the Bureau of Vital Statistics. I'd try first in the county where you lived when your name was changed, but it might be necessary to go through the State bureau.

Since your change wasn't as an infant and only involved a change in fathers, the records might not be sealed. If they are, it'll be tough getting any information

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">