• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

birth certificate amendment and name change of a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erinspice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place. My three year old daughter's name is spelled wrong (the same wrong spelling) on both her birth certificate and social security card. I was told I could not apply for a birth certificate amendment because I have no proof of the correct spelling. I was told that I would have to do a name change of a minor and then use that to have her birth certificate corrected. The probate court told me today that for minor name changes you have to hire a lawyer. Is this true? Can I not file the papers myself?

xylene

My three year old daughter's name is spelled wrong (the same wrong spelling) on both her birth certificate and social security card. I was told I could not apply for a birth certificate amendment because I have no proof of the correct spelling.
Who told you this?

I was told that I would have to do a name change of a minor and then use that to have her birth certificate corrected. The probate court told me today that for minor name changes you have to hire a lawyer. Is this true? Can I not file the papers myself?
Courts don't have mouths.

Who told you this?

erinspice

The Birth Amendment Clerk in Montgomery, AL told me that in order to correct the birth certificate, I had to have valid supporting documentation that we were using the new name. She said I had to have 2 of the following: social security card, marriage certificate, military service card, or school registration. At 3, the only one of those my daughter has is the social security card and her name is spelled incorrectly on there as well.

Some clerk at the Probate Court said that I'm required to hire a lawyer to do a name change of a minor. I was speaking figuratively. I went there today to find out how to do it and pick up the paperwork I'd need, and she expressly told me I couldn't do it myself. I would have to hire a lawyer.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The website for the Calhoun County probate court agrees with what you were told in Montgomery. (Name Changes, Probate Judge, Calhoun County, Alabama)

However, I found this on the Probate Judge's site in Montgomery County:
"Minor Name Changes

Forms are provided in the Probate Court Office.

1. Minor children must be legal residents of Montgomery County.

2. The Petitioner must present a certified copy of the child's birth certificate. Certified copies may be obtained from the Center of Health Statistics at 334-206-5418.

3. A person listed as the father on the birth certificate must petition jointly with the mother for a name change or sign a consent form. If no father is listed on the birth certificate or the father cannot consent, you must hire an attorney to file for the name change.

4. The Petitioner must present picture identification, i.e., driver's license or military identification. The Petitioner's signature will be notarized in the Probate Court Office.

5. The minor child who is 14 or older must sign a consent form to have a legal name change.

6. The filing fee is $15.00 (cash, check, Mastercard, or Visa accepted). A Certified copy of the name change will cost an additional $4.00."
Montgomery County, Alabama Probate Judge Name Changes

So, if you and your husband are agreed, there is no issue and you will not need a lawyer. You will be the petitioner and will be required to prove your identity.

erinspice

So this could be different for every county? I live in Madison County, and the website does say that minor name changes have to be done through an attorney. Probate Judge's Office - Name Changes Is this the kind of thing that I could file in another county to get around that?

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Looks like you'll have to file in the county where you guys reside... Probate judges seem to have a lot in power in this state. When I get home I'll be glad to do a little more research about this. (That's where most of my links are!) ;)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If you had caught the mistake within a year after she was born, then you could have amended her BC.

"Title 22 HEALTH, MENTAL HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL
Chapter 9A VITAL STATISTICS.
Section 22-9A-19
Amendment of vital records.
(a) A certificate registered under this chapter may be amended only in accordance with this chapter and rules adopted by the board to protect the integrity and accuracy of vital records.

(b) A certificate that is amended under this section shall be marked "AMENDED" except as otherwise provided in this section. The date of amendment and a summary description of the evidence submitted in support of the amendment shall be made a part of the record. Additions or minor corrections may be made to certificates within one year after the date of the event without the certificate being marked "AMENDED." The board shall prescribe by rules the conditions under which additions or minor corrections may be made.

(c) Amendment of names on a birth certificate.

(1) Until the fifth birthday of the registrant, given names for a child whose birth was recorded without given names may be added to the certificate upon affidavit of both parents, or the mother in the case of a child born out of wedlock, or the father in the case of the death or incapacity of the mother, or the mother in the case of the death or incapacity of the father, or the guardian or agency having legal custody of the registrant. The certificate shall not be marked "AMENDED."

(2) Until the first birthday of the child, given names may be amended upon affidavit of both parents, or the mother in the case of a child born out of wedlock, or the father in the case of the death or incapacity of the mother, or the mother in the case of the death or incapacity of the father, or the guardian or agency having legal custody of the registrant. The certificate shall be marked "AMENDED." After one year from the date of birth, the provisions of subdivision (c)(3) of this section shall be followed.

(3) Upon receipt of a certified copy of an order from a court with competent jurisdiction changing the name of a person born in this state, the State Registrar shall amend the certificate of birth to show the new name.

(d) Upon receipt of a certified copy of an order of a court of competent jurisdiction indicating that the sex of an individual born in this state has been changed by surgical procedure and that the name of the individual has been changed, the certificate of birth of the individual shall be amended as prescribed by rules to reflect the changes.

(e) If an applicant does not submit the minimum documentation required in the rules for amending a vital record, or if the State Registrar has reasonable cause to question the validity or adequacy of the sworn statements or the documentary evidence of the applicant, the State Registrar shall not amend the vital record, unless the deficiencies are corrected.

(f) Once an amendment of an item is made on a vital record, that item shall not be amended again except upon receipt of an order from a court of competent jurisdiction.

(Acts 1992, No. 92-607, p. 1255, §19.)"

"Title 26 INFANTS AND INCOMPETENTS
Chapter 11 LEGITIMATION OF CHILDREN.
Section 26-11-3
Procedure for change of name of child upon petition by father generally; notification of mother and child; filing of response; appointment of guardian ad litem; hearing; issuance of order by court; certification of minutes of court to Bureau of Vital Statistics, etc.
(a) The father may petition at the time of filing the declaration of legitimation or at any time subsequent to the determination of legitimation to change the name of such child, stating in his declaration the name it is then known by and the name he wishes it afterwards to have. Such petition shall be filed in the office of the judge of probate of the father's residence or the child's residence.

(b) Upon the filing of the petition for name change, notice shall be given to the child's mother and to the child as provided by the Alabama Rules of Civil Procedure. Notice may be waived as provided by the Alabama Rules of Civil Procedure. The child's mother shall, within 30 days after receiving notice, file her objection or consent to the name change with the probate court. The probate court shall appoint a guardian ad litem to represent the child if the mother files a timely objection or if the court determines such appointment to be in the best interest of the child. Following receipt of the mother's response or upon expiration of the time for her response, the probate court shall conduct an informal hearing at which all interested parties may present evidence for determination of whether the name change is in the best interest of the child. The court shall issue an order of name change or denial of name change.

Upon change of the name of the child, a certified copy of the minutes of the court shall be sent by the judge of probate to the Bureau of Vital Statistics, State Board of Health and to the Registrar of Vital Statistics of the county where the petition was filed within 30 days after the minutes are recorded.

(Code 1852, §2010; Code 1867, §2406; Code 1876, §2744; Code 1886, §2366; Code 1896, §366; Code 1907, §5201; Code 1923, §9301; Code 1940, T. 27, §12; Acts 1981, No. 81-800, p. 1407, "
The Code of Alabama is available here:
Alabama Legislative Information System Online

Looks like you'll have to go the long way 'round.... :cool:

I've also found this 'form' online that might work for you. (Alabama Petition for Change of Name of Minor - Free Legal Form) You should be able to get a quickie or phone consult from a competent family law attorney who can let you know about the local probate court climate. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">