• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

birth certificate father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joespeak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

If the wrong man is listed on a birth certificate, but has raised the child as his own, can he be in any legal trouble for having his name on the birth certificate?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hisbabygirl77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

If the wrong man is listed on a birth certificate, but has raised the child as his own, can he be in any legal trouble for having his name on the birth certificate?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Well did the man knowingly commit fraud? Or did he honestly think he was the father? Let me guess the bio dad is now wanting to be in the picture and the man who signed his name on BC is starting to worry because he knew darn well he wasnt daddy and signed anyway?

joespeak

He honestly believes his is dad, and No the question of a bio-dad does not play a factor in this question. Just if it turns out this man is not the father can he held to legal trouble?

Hisbabygirl77

He honestly believes his is dad, and No the question of a bio-dad does not play a factor in this question. Just if it turns out this man is not the father can he held to legal trouble?
No of course not. If he honestly believed he was that is the point of signing the AOP. Its for fathers who honestly feel they are the father and claim the responsibility of being named the daddy.

Proserpina

How do you know which is the biological father? How long ago did this happen?

joespeak

The possibility of another father is the result of a anger filled one night stand, the name of the man is unknown as well as his whereabouts. yes, i know stupid. But the man that i was/am with understands this possibility exists, but is committed to raising this child as his own. And neither of us want to know if his is not. The question remains.... can this man listed on the birth certificate get in legal trouble if he is not the correct one?

Proserpina

So the question of biology IS a factor here.

The possibility of another father is the result of a anger filled one night stand, the name of the man is unknown as well as his whereabouts. yes, i know stupid. But the man that i was/am with understands this possibility exists, but is committed to raising this child as his own. And neither of us want to know if his is not. The question remains.... can this man listed on the birth certificate get in legal trouble if he is not the correct one?

The short answer to your question is yes (as I believe you were told). He can get into trouble if he makes a statement which he knows is not necessarily the truth.

Out of interest why wouldn't either of you want to know? He wants to raise the child as his own, yes? So what difference would it make?

joespeak

We truly believe that the man listed on the b.c. is the correct father, however, in the event that it is was incorrect we don't want to go through the process of changing the b.c. from a "known" father to an "unknown" father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">