• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

birth certificate help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abc123-arkansas

Arkansas

i need help. i was married when i was 18 and had a baby with my husband. we got divorced right after my daughter was born. and my ex-husband didnt put his name on the paper work for the birth certificate. and he never sent it off to be filed either. i dont know if he is the actual father of my daughter but he has visitation rights from the divorce and custody thing. he has only seen her 5 times since she was born. i dont know what to do. do i legaly have to put his name on the birth certificate or can i leave it blank or put unknown in the spot where the fathers name goes. i havnt been able to get ahold of him to see what he wants to do so i am seeking any information on what is and isnt allowed in this situation. it has been a year since the birth of my daughter. that is why i am wondering what my options are. there was never a birth certificate issued because the froms were not sent off. so can i leave his name out of it or what can i do.

Last edited:

buckeye1288

I'm pretty certain that in Ohio, you do not have to put the fathers name on the birth certificate.

If you plan on getting child support, I would find out if he is the father.

Gracie3787

Arkansas

i need help. i was married when i was 18 and had a baby with my husband. we got divorced right after my daughter was born. and my ex-husband didnt put his name on the paper work for the birth certificate. and he never sent it off to be filed either. i dont know if he is the actual father of my daughter but he has visitation rights from the divorce and custody thing. he has only seen her 5 times since she was born. i dont know what to do. do i legaly have to put his name on the birth certificate or can i leave it blank or put unknown in the spot where the fathers name goes. i havnt been able to get ahold of him to see what he wants to do so i am seeking any information on what is and isnt allowed in this situation. it has been a year since the birth of my daughter. that is why i am wondering what my options are. there was never a birth certificate issued because the froms were not sent off. so can i leave his name out of it or what can i do.
Are you saying that your daughter does NOT have a birth certificate??
Didn't you fill out/sign any papers for the BC, such as name, at the hospital when she was born?

I'm sorry, but why on earth haven't you done something before now?

You were married when she was born, you were divorced and he has court ordered visitation, all of which means that like it or not, bio Dad or not, legally he IS your daughter's father.

Under these circumstances, you may have to list ex as Dad since he was husband and legal father at time of birth. But, just to be sure you might want to get a quick consult with a local attorney.

Gracie3787

I'm pretty certain that in Ohio, you do not have to put the fathers name on the birth certificate.

If you plan on getting child support, I would find out if he is the father.
1. The OP is in Arkansas, so Ohio law doesn't matter.

2. The OP's ex IS already the legal father, see my answer to the OP.

abc123-arkansas

no my ex told me that he sent the forms out cuz i filled everything out and had it ready but he never sent them out we then divorced and i just got all mine and my daughters belongings back and found the papers that you need to get one still there and when i asked him about it he told me he forgot to send them off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">