• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birth certificate issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sirloin68

My 2 year old daughter's birth certificate has my fiancee's ex-husband name listed as the father because they were separated yet still legally married at the time of her birth. The paternity has never been at issue. Do I have any recourse in having the birth certificate amended to have my name listed as the father?

In advance,
Thanks for your input

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is too late - you will have to get married and adopt the other man's child...

Zigner

Did the father move to disestabish paternity at any point? Perhaps the parent of the child should be here...

sirloin68

The ex has been completely indifferent to the matter, the Mother and I are engaged and soon to be married. They have 4 children together and she has primary custody, and has since remarried and fathered another child.
It was suggested that the birth certificate could be amended so long as the child was less than 3 years old.
The ex and I have a very amicable relationship (we currently work together) and talk about the kids on a daily basis. He has said he would help in any way to resolve the matter as well.

Zigner

The ex has been completely indifferent to the matter, the Mother and I are engaged and soon to be married. They have 4 children together and she has primary custody, and has since remarried and fathered another child.
It was suggested that the birth certificate could be amended so long as the child was less than 3 years old.
The ex and I have a very amicable relationship (we currently work together) and talk about the kids on a daily basis. He has said he would help in any way to resolve the matter as well.
He affirmed that he is the father during the divorce process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">