• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birth certificate questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

singlemomof1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I am not married. The father of my baby signed an acknowledgement of paternity and he is on her birth certificate. She is now carrying his last name. The problem is that I found out his last name is NOT the one he signed on the acknowledgement and now she is carrying his mother's last name, not his. How can I get this corrected. I do want him on her birth certificate but have decided to drop his name and give her my last name. Can this be accomplished?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I am not married. The father of my baby signed an acknowledgement of paternity and he is on her birth certificate. She is now carrying his last name. The problem is that I found out his last name is NOT the one he signed on the acknowledgement and now she is carrying his mother's last name, not his. How can I get this corrected. I do want him on her birth certificate but have decided to drop his name and give her my last name. Can this be accomplished?

Do you have his permission to change her name?

justalayman

well, you had to agree to the name on the BC or it wouldn't be there. You can actually name your child (when first naming them) anything you want so there is no impropriety here.

to change the name now you will have to petition the court. Part of the process is you will have to serve the father who can contest the name change if he so chooses.

singlemomof1

Do you have his permission to change her name?
He knows I am changing her name, he said okay. Do I NEED his permission to change it? His legal name does not match the birth certificate. His identification at the time she was born was wrong, I didn't know it when the acknowledgement was signed, but his last name was legally changed and not his identification.

justalayman

singlemomof1;3057646]He knows I am changing her name, he said okay.
good
Do I NEED his permission to change it?
it makes it a lot easier. It would be advisable. If he said it was ok, why even ask this?

His legal name does not match the birth certificate.
and?

His identification at the time she was born was wrong, I didn't know it when the acknowledgement was signed, but his last name was legally changed and not his identification.
and?

obviously this gives you a valid reason for wanting to change the name but that does not remove the requirement of following procedure to do so.

ecmst12

You would need to follow the same procedure as anyone else who wants to change their name. File in court, serve dad, and get a court order to change it. If dad does not object, it should be pretty routine.

LdiJ

You would need to follow the same procedure as anyone else who wants to change their name. File in court, serve dad, and get a court order to change it. If dad does not object, it should be pretty routine.
And in this particular situation, where dad (for some wierd reason) did not disclose his real last name, even if he objected a judge might rule against dad.

Proserpina

And in this particular situation, where dad (for some wierd reason) did not disclose his real last name, even if he objected a judge might rule against dad.

I'm wondering if this was a case of using the name he was raised with instead of his legal name. It happens.

(I had a hellish time in England once I turned of age; I was raised with my stepfather's name and of course there was nothing legal in that name and I had to start all over again with my legal name. Nightmare!)

Or, I could be projecting. :eek:

justalayman

did anybody notice that the name given used to be dad's name? It was changed somewhere along the line but he had not changed his ID.

His identification at the time she was born was wrong, I didn't know it when the acknowledgement was signed, but his last name was legally changed and not his identification.

singlemomof1

did anybody notice that the name given used to be dad's name? It was changed somewhere along the line but he had not changed his ID.
Yes, it use to be his name - the one that is on the birth certificate. But not at the time of her birth. I was unaware his name was legally changed before she was born. I just want to avoid confusion for the child, I'll have one last name, her dad another last name, and her ANOTHER last name??? Seems ridiculous to me, and somewhere in her future hard to explain.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yes, it use to be his name - the one that is on the birth certificate. But not at the time of her birth. I was unaware his name was legally changed before she was born. I just want to avoid confusion for the child, I'll have one last name, her dad another last name, and her ANOTHER last name??? Seems ridiculous to me, and somewhere in her future hard to explain.
Not really. :cool:

justalayman

All of these threads about names...

What's in a name, anyway?
ah, so true. what is in a name?

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
* * * Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
* * * What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
* * * Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
* * * Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
* * * What's in a name? that which we call a rose
* * * By any other name would smell as sweet;
* * * So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
* * * Retain that dear perfection which he owes
* * * Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
* * * And for that name which is no part of thee
* * * Take all myself.
simply put: nothing more than a person wishes to put in that name

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">