• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blazer just disappeared

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blazer5760

I live in California. My live-in boyfriend paid off a vehicle without my knowledge it was registered to either him or I, not as he and I. He then left with the Blazer on 2/20/09. I called the finance company on 2/23/09 and discovered he had paid the truck off but the pink was lost in the mail. I went to the DMV and took his name off the title and went to the finance company and they signed off on the pink. The vehicle is now only registered to me and insured by me. I have the pink slip in my name only. The local police have been no help since he had keys to the truck along with me. He has told the police that the vehicle just disappeared. I want him to return the vehicle. When can this vehicle be considered stolen. if at all. It has now been nearly 4 months how long do I have to wait. What are my options.....HelpWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How did you manage to remove him from the title if he didn't agree to it?

ETA: The police were no "help" because no crime occurred. In fact, based on what you posted, YOU seem to be the one who has acted improperly in this matter.

blazer5760

blazer

The vehicle was issued to both of us each of us could remove one another from the title since it read he or I and not he and I. We both paid for the blazer. The information the title company gave me that the pink had been lost in the mail. I went to the DMV and removed him from the title which I had the right to do. The finance company signed off on the vehicle. I am the only owner now and have the blazer insured only to me but the blazer has disappeared.

Golfball

This strikes me as closing the barn door after the horse left, since you became sole owner after the car left your possession.

And how do you know you still have legal title to the car? Since either party could apparently remove the other w/o their express consent, what would have prevented him from intercepting the lien release, signing the title, and signing the vehicle over to a 3rd party, all before you took sole title of the car?

You and your BF have created an interesting mess for yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">