• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blended finances before marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whattodo52

texas. I have been living with a man for 6 months. When I moved in I had to move away from my job. He begged and pleaded, so I did, since he promised to take care of me until I found a new job. That didn't take more than 2 weeks. I found a good position. But, when I moved in he asked me to take any money I had left and put it into our new bank account. He said if he was going to be paying my bills, he wanted the rest of my money. I obliged. However, he was spending a lot of money. I saw that the surpluss of what I made ...was non existent. No more retirement contribution etc. he said he stopped contributing to his...so he expected the same.

I also have a child from a previous relationship and one day I told him I wanted to give money toward his sports fees. He went nuts. He said we are on a very tight budget and it didn't fit. So, I began taking small amounts of money from my check and putting it back into my solo account and giving money to my child at times like this.

Now, 6 months later, we are about to get married and he went through my purse and found check stubs for this type of thing. He's now demanding to see all my accounts, including my fidelity for the past YEAR. He says that I'm untrustworthy and he can't marry me until he sees this.

The problem is I have about 5k saved for taxes (he spent my tax money and says he will replenish when necessary). If I show him these accounts, I think he's going to try and take the money. Personally, I'd like to give to my child savings account or something. I know once we are married that becomes both of our money.

Is it fair for him to demand this of me?

ShyCat

This is a legal advice board, not pre-marital counseling. That said, my common-sense advice is...

END IT NOW. MOVE OUT. DO NOT MARRY THIS JERK.

You really don't need us to tell you that, do you?

Just Blue

texas. I have been living with a man for 6 months. When I moved in I had to move away from my job. He begged and pleaded, so I did, since he promised to take care of me until I found a new job. That didn't take more than 2 weeks. I found a good position. But, when I moved in he asked me to take any money I had left and put it into our new bank account. He said if he was going to be paying my bills, he wanted the rest of my money. I obliged. However, he was spending a lot of money. I saw that the surpluss of what I made ...was non existent. No more retirement contribution etc. he said he stopped contributing to his...so he expected the same.

I also have a child from a previous relationship and one day I told him I wanted to give money toward his sports fees. He went nuts. He said we are on a very tight budget and it didn't fit. So, I began taking small amounts of money from my check and putting it back into my solo account and giving money to my child at times like this.

Now, 6 months later, we are about to get married and he went through my purse and found check stubs for this type of thing. He's now demanding to see all my accounts, including my fidelity for the past YEAR. He says that I'm untrustworthy and he can't marry me until he sees this.

The problem is I have about 5k saved for taxes (he spent my tax money and says he will replenish when necessary). If I show him these accounts, I think he's going to try and take the money. Personally, I'd like to give to my child savings account or something. I know once we are married that becomes both of our money.

You are a parent. This man is trying to financially CONTROL you. Take the 5k and leave this ...person.

Whattodo52

I understand it seems obvious, but I guess my heart is in it. And I have been told that my boundaries etc are a problem. He feels that I am hiding things and I have lied about these accounts etc because we are not married and I could see issues. The fact is he already has at least 20k in money that I brought in ...in excess of my bills etc. That's money I will have to pay taxes on.

So he uses my lies against me. He makes me feel like the bad person here and I wanted to come here to find out if I was doing the right thing by avoiding him going through my bank accounts.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand it seems obvious, but I guess my heart is in it. And I have been told that my boundaries etc are a problem. He feels that I am hiding things and I have lied about these accounts etc because we are not married and I could see issues. The fact is he already has at least 20k in money that I brought in ...in excess of my bills etc. That's money I will have to pay taxes on.

So he uses my lies against me. He makes me feel like the bad person here and I wanted to come here to find out if I was doing the right thing by avoiding him going through my bank accounts.
Maybe the folks above were not clear enough. LEAVE THE GUY! You are setting yourself up for a controlling and abusive relationship.

LdiJ

Good lord, can you not see that this guy is stealing you blind? Why have you allowed him any control at all over YOUR money? DO NOT marry this man. Break the engagement and get the heck out while you can. Its clear as it can be. Re-direct your pay check to your own account and get the heck out, immediately.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Oh come on. You're a grown up woman with a child. Speaking of whom - where IS the child? Living with you and subject to this piece of scum, or with his/her Dad (hopefully)? If the latter - how often do you see the kid?

Whattodo52

My son lives primarily with his dad. When I moved to be with my fiancé — I tried to take my son with me and my ex husband filed a geographical protective order to keep our son in the same city.
He got a bunch of family money and tried to poke holes in the divorce decree and he got his way because I was out of money and ended up agreeing to keep him in the city.
When that happened my fiancé and ex husband went to war — my fiancé felt that my ex was trying to ruin our relationship. My ex just knew enough to think it was too unstable to move our son 3 hours away and he was right.

So I go every other weekend and twice a week to visit him. But, my fiancé gets extremely angry when I make day trips to see my son because he says that I have too much guilt and he can’t stand it. Many times he makes sure he gets off of work and goes with me — he doesn’t like me in my son’s town “running around like a single woman”

Now, the latest is my fiancé wants me to hide some of my business income in HIS business so that my child support amount is lowered. I make 165k now and he says it needs to be hidden so my ex can’t get any more money…..

In fact he originally wanted me to say I had no job — or a minor one - so I didn’t have to pay.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This OP makes $165k per year? ...I'm calling BS.

My son lives primarily with his dad. When I moved to be with my fiancé — I tried to take my son with me and my ex husband filed a geographical protective order to keep our son in the same city.
He got a bunch of family money and tried to poke holes in the divorce decree and he got his way because I was out of money and ended up agreeing to keep him in the city.
When that happened my fiancé and ex husband went to war — my fiancé felt that my ex was trying to ruin our relationship. My ex just knew enough to think it was too unstable to move our son 3 hours away and he was right.

So I go every other weekend and twice a week to visit him. But, my fiancé gets extremely angry when I make day trips to see my son because he says that I have too much guilt and he can’t stand it. Many times he makes sure he gets off of work and goes with me — he doesn’t like me in my son’s town “running around like a single woman”

Now, the latest is my fiancé wants me to hide some of my business income in HIS business so that my child support amount is lowered. I make 165k now and he says it needs to be hidden so my ex can’t get any more money…..

In fact he originally wanted me to say I had no job — or a minor one - so I didn’t have to pay.

Whattodo52

No it's true. I make 165k. My fiancé is a surgeon and makes 300. His mortgage is 7k a month and he has huge bills for his sports cars etc. and he pays 3k a month in child support.

ShyCat

You know what to do. Do it or don't, but stop wasting our time here. No one is going to pat your head and tell you it's going to be fine, he'll change with that piece of paper and you'll live happily ever after. If you're so desperate to be a doctor's wife with a big mortgage that you will tolerate an abusive hell with a controlling monster, have at it. But don't pretend to be clueless and naive.

Now, since you don't have a legal question, we're done here, right? Or are you trolling this forum for entertainment?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
This is a legal advice board, not pre-marital counseling. That said, my common-sense advice is...

END IT NOW. MOVE OUT. DO NOT MARRY THIS JERK.

You really don't need us to tell you that, do you?
Apparently she *does* need to be told that.

They're on their best behavior *before* marriage, so if it's bad now, GET OUT.

VOE

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Oh for heaven's sake - move out yesterday, stop thinking with your hormones and be close to your son. Thank goodness his father was smart enough to fight for the child. At least kiddo has one adult looking out for his best interests.

Proserpina

I think all of the very kind posters who have responded to this thread should say hi to Dad and his New Append.. sorry, Girlfriend.

Ducks, quacking, that sort of thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">