• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bless my messy home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

champ68193

California

My younger sister Rose, is harrassing our family by calling county agencies and filing bogus complaints. She has not seen us or been in the home in four years. She told them (t6he county) that I went online and transferred money from my mother's bank account to mine. This is not possible and is something I would never think of doing.

She has sent adult services over here many times, this time while our family is in deep crisis and has used them to harrass us. My husband is very ill and has been for the past 4 years. It is impossible for me to care for him, keep house and run both my husband and my elderly mother to the doctor or hospital 2 or 3 times a week as they are requiring for proper health care. Something has to give. So, I let the housework go. Easy for me since I have congestive heart failure and cleaning house is very difficult for me. I do have help in my older sister Martha helping in all her capacity but her intelligence is limited due to brain damage suffered as a child. She is the only family member physically able to do any amount of housework that is meaningful but it is a very heavy burden on her.

Adult Services came to our home, which was terribly dirty and threatened to arrest my developmentally disabled sister Martha because they claim that the messy home is abusive to my 81 year old mother. They barged into the house, threatening to "cuff" Martha and remained inside taking pictures (even of our bedrooms) although my mother asked them to leave and stated that she was not being abused.

I tried to explain the situation to the Adult Services worker, Mr. Ageno, from the ICU on my cellphone and while he was kind in voice and manner, he gave me "ten days from our visit" to clean the home. No can do! My husband is in the Veterans Hospital ICU and I must be near him which means I am 96 miles from home. My mother is too old to do housework and my sister is incapable of managing all of it without me.

How can we make Rose stop calling county services on us and harrassing us by telephone? She has been doing this so often that even the workers know that it is only harassment on her part. They have stated that they "MUST investigate every complaint."

How can we make the county cease and desist while we are still in crisis? Don't we have the right to have a crappy house if we want to live that way???

moburkes

No, you don't have the right to live in a messy house when you have others in your care, including your elderly mother, and a mentally disabled sibling.

seniorjudge

Thank you for your opinion, now--quote me the law, please.
http://ag.ca.gov/bmfea/pdfs/citizens_guide.pdf

What is Physical and
Emotional Elder Abuse?
Physical abuse includes:
• Physical assault
• Sexual assault
• Unreasonable physical constraint
• Prolonged deprivation of food or water
• Inappropriate use of a physical or chemical
restraint or psychotropic medication
Neglect includes:
• Failure to assist in personal hygiene
• Failure to provide clothing and shelter
• Failure to provide medical care
• Failure to protect from health and safety hazards
• Failure to prevent malnutrition or dehydration
• Self-neglect

Etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">