• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

borrowing money from relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marciag

I live in State of NY; relatives live in Florida; attorney from NY

Uncle through marraige offered $15,000. approx 10 years ago, no strings attached, for support of my business. Two years later, called for immediate return of money. At that time he requested I sign a little receipt for the money.
I began repayment by sending $100. per month regularly and have paid almost $10,000. to date.
Just notified that he has passed away and his attorney (a cousin) is requesting the remainder to be paid in full immediately.
What are my legal rights? Can I continue to pay the $100. per month or would I be required by law to pay the full amount back? Who would I pay it to? (my aunt is still living). Can they sue me to pay the whole amount up front?

Marcia G
[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">