• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend and I are breaking up, we own a house together, what do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elizabethmock82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
My boyfriend and I are ending an 8 year relationship, (not by my choice). We currently own a house together. His name is on the deed, he signed all the mortgage papers with me 2 years ago. His name is not on the loan, I qualified for the loan by myself. He has left and I cannot pay my mortgage, he is refusing to pay me anything. Besides the mortgage he owes me around $6,000. Is there anything I can do?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
My boyfriend and I are ending an 8 year relationship, (not by my choice). We currently own a house together. His name is on the deed, he signed all the mortgage papers with me 2 years ago. His name is not on the loan, I qualified for the loan by myself. He has left and I cannot pay my mortgage, he is refusing to pay me anything. Besides the mortgage he owes me around $6,000. Is there anything I can do?
The bolded above does not make sense. A mortgage is a loan.

But thanks for proving the point that once again, unless one is married, it is extremely risky to buy real estate with another person involved. (And even if one is married, it's still risky, but not as much).

swrdmbo

Why would you put his name on the deed if he did not also take responsibility for the mortgage?

You realize he has half interest in the house but NO financial responsibility for the mortgage?

Get a roommate and do your best to get him to sign a Quit Claim Deed to you for his interest in the house. I hope he does it.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">