• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend kicking me out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
Ok.....my boyfriend kicked me out of the house today. The house is in his name only....but I have been living there for five years since it was bought. My question is can he legally kick me out? Or do I have any legal rights that would allow me to stay until I figure out where to go?

ecmst12

You have the right to 30 days written notice to move, like any other tenant. You can sue him for illegal eviction if he locks you out sooner.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Would be glad to answer any questions....just didnt want to clog it with unneccesary information. What specifics are needed?
How did the two of you file taxes together if he was just your boyfriend? When did you start filing taxes together? When did he buy the house? Give a timeline of these things. You were also advised on at least one thread what to do about this very situation. Where is your child at this point?

How did the two of you file taxes together if he was just your boyfriend? When did you start filing taxes together? When did he buy the house? Give a timeline of these things. You were also advised on at least one thread what to do about this very situation. Where is your child at this point?
Ok....the house was bought in March 2010. He has filed taxes for the last three years claiming my daughter and I as dependants since I have been disabled since 2011. My twelve year old daughter is currently staying with her grandparents while I figure this all out.

LdiJ

Ok....the house was bought in March 2010. He has filed taxes for the last three years claiming my daughter and I as dependants since I have been disabled since 2011. My twelve year old daughter is currently staying with her grandparents while I figure this all out.
Claiming you as a dependent is not the same as filing taxes together.

LdiJ

Well that is the extent we did. I never made enough disabled to file.
I do understand now. However, using the phrase "filing taxes together" implies that it was a joint tax return signed by both parties. In your case, you were merely a dependent on someone else's tax return. Had you filed joint tax returns, that would have implied a potential common law marriage. However, by merely being a dependent on someone else's return it strongly implies that you were NOT married at common law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">