• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend left his things behind.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MO30277

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My boyfriend moved into my house in Georgia about a year ago. Things didn't work out with us and he left to move back to MA. He left the majority of his belongings, sofa, TV, dishes, etc. He sent me an email asking me to put his things in a storage building. I don't have the financial means or manpower to do this. What obligations do I have and how should I handle the situation?

swalsh411

What did he say when you told him you have to make arragements now to get his things out of your house? He doesn't have to be there. He can hire a crew to transport it all to storage (that he is paying for); you just have to be home to tell them what to take.

MO30277

I haven't told him that yet. I am going tonight at 7 p.m. to remove my things from the storage building. I wanted to make sure my things were removed safely prior to presenting him with that. I wouldn't put it past him to call a locksmith and have the lock changed.
I drafted a letter (email) to him today basically giving him 30 days to remove the items on his list or I will sell or donate them. I just want to make sure I have the legal authority to do that. He was an attorney but no longer practices law.

mistoffolees

I drafted a letter (email) to him today basically giving him 30 days to remove the items on his list or I will sell or donate them. I just want to make sure I have the legal authority to do that. He was an attorney but no longer practices law.
That depends on a lot of things, but even if you do - you're just asking for trouble. Even if you DO have the right to get rid of his things, he can make your life miserable.

Try to work it out. Give him 30 days and see if he gets his stuff. If he doesn't, I'd consult with an attorney before throwing anything out.

MO30277

I don't understand why I have to keep/store his things. He left them here instead of putting them in the storage unit which is 10 minutes from my home. He also left his dog. He owes me over $400 and doesn't have any means to pay. He's now a professoinal gambler and owes a great deal of money to the IRS and State for back taxes for 3 years. He owes his backers money he stole from them, roughly $45k. He has credit card debt and student loans. He's a worthless....well you get the picture. I've just recently learned the truth about him and am anxious to cut all ties.
He's already made my life and the life of my children a living hell. I should be the one suing him for fraud...lol.

mistoffolees

I don't understand why I have to keep/store his things.
Because they're his things and you made him part of your life and your home. You may, in fact, have to go through a formal, legal eviction process to dispose of his things.

If you don't want to have someone as any part of your life, don't live with them. Simple.

ecmst12

He won't have to be evicted because he already moved out. But states have separate laws for dealing with abandoned property, and if you don't follow them exactly, you could end up at the wrong end of a lawsuit.

mistoffolees

He won't have to be evicted because he already moved out.
That was my first thought. But, depending on circumstances, he may have the right to move back in (if his name were on the lease, for example). So a formal eviction MAY be necessary.

But states have separate laws for dealing with abandoned property, and if you don't follow them exactly, you could end up at the wrong end of a lawsuit.
That was my main point.

MO30277

To clear up a few things. His name is not on the lease and never was. I've lived in this house for 15 years and my name is the only one on the mortgage. We had no formal agreement. We met, fell in love and he moved from his apartment in with me. He left on his on free will. He refused to get a "real" job and do anything other than play poker. When he fell behind on his child support to his ex wife, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. He told me he was never giving up playing poker and unfortunately he's not able to meet his financial obligations doing that. He decided to move back to MA where's he's from and live "off" his friends. He couldn't afford to move his things so he left them here for me to move. He also left his dog. I removed my items from the storage unit last night. I would like to email him and ask him to remove the items on "the list" he emailed me within 30 days so I can begin to pick up the pieces and move on with my life.

mistoffolees

To clear up a few things. His name is not on the lease and never was. I've lived in this house for 15 years and my name is the only one on the mortgage. We had no formal agreement. We met, fell in love and he moved from his apartment in with me. He left on his on free will. He refused to get a "real" job and do anything other than play poker. When he fell behind on his child support to his ex wife, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. He told me he was never giving up playing poker and unfortunately he's not able to meet his financial obligations doing that. He decided to move back to MA where's he's from and live "off" his friends. He couldn't afford to move his things so he left them here for me to move. He also left his dog. I removed my items from the storage unit last night. I would like to email him and ask him to remove the items on "the list" he emailed me within 30 days so I can begin to pick up the pieces and move on with my life.
You're completely missing the point. In some states (I didn't check yours), he would be a month to month tenant under those circumstances - and you'd have to follow the legal eviction process.

Either way, working it out with him is far better than trying to throw his things out (especially his dog!!).

MO30277

I'm sorry you feel I'm missing your point. I get it....trust me, my hands are tied. I'll change the locks, move his stuff into my garage and be done with it. If and when he comes to collect his things, they will be right there waiting on him. Simple.....

TinkerBelleLuvr

Look up the term "bailment". You don't have to be his permanent storage unit, but I would check with a local attorney to dot every I and cross every T on getting rid of it. If you sell it, the proceeds, minus your costs of selling the items, will be his.

It starts by sending the CRRR giving him X amount of time to retrieve the items or they will be considered abandoned and disposed of. Send it both CRRR and regular mail. This is important. If the letter comes back, keep it sealed. It is part of YOUR protection plan.

Silverplum

I'm sorry you feel I'm missing your point. I get it....trust me, my hands are tied. I'll change the locks, move his stuff into my garage and be done with it. If and when he comes to collect his things, they will be right there waiting on him. Simple.....
I apologize, but I simply am too curious to not ask the question:

What do you plan to do about the dog? I would never leave my dogs behind, and can't imagine what the heck he was doing/thinking.

MO30277

I am an animal lover. All my pets have been rescues. I don't have the heart to let her go to a bad home. It's his 4 year old son's dog but his ex wife won't let him take her. I'll keep her until I can find a home where she will be loved and cared for.

Silverplum

I am an animal lover. All my pets have been rescues. I don't have the heart to let her go to a bad home. It's his 4 year old son's dog but his ex wife won't let him take her. I'll keep her until I can find a home where she will be loved and cared for.
Thank you. :):):)

ps--all of ours are rescues, also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">