• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend left me and left his things behind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SadSally

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My boyfriend left me last Wednesday and moved in with another woman. He packed up his clothes and a few other things... leaving behind a couch, loveseat, table set and a coffee table.

Saturday I messaged him by phone and asked him to remove the rest of the furniture by 6PM Sunday and to return my key. .. I received a response on his phone claiming it was his girl friend that I have to give him 60 days according to contract. Ummm.. there was no contract, he's only lived with me about 6weeks and there were no arrangements made for anything. I received a second message from his phone that said he claimed it wasn't worth the hassle and keep it. He never showed up this weekend so I had to change my locks to prevent him from entering my home. I messaged him asking when he would pick it up.. I received no response.

I'm not sure what to do with it, do I sell it, donate it someplace? I've tried to contact him but his new girl friend won't allow it and handles his calls. I have no address to contact him... do I send a letter to his parents for them to forward on?

Thank you for your help
Sally

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My boyfriend left me last Wednesday and moved in with another woman. He packed up his clothes and a few other things... leaving behind a couch, loveseat, table set and a coffee table.

Saturday I messaged him by phone and asked him to remove the rest of the furniture by 6PM Sunday and to return my key. .. I received a response on his phone claiming it was his girl friend that I have to give him 60 days according to contract. Ummm.. there was no contract, he's only lived with me about 6weeks and there were no arrangements made for anything. I received a second message from his phone that said he claimed it wasn't worth the hassle and keep it. He never showed up this weekend so I had to change my locks to prevent him from entering my home. I messaged him asking when he would pick it up.. I received no response.

I'm not sure what to do with it, do I sell it, donate it someplace? I've tried to contact him but his new girl friend won't allow it and handles his calls. I have no address to contact him... do I send a letter to his parents for them to forward on?

Thank you for your help
Sally
Was he on the lease? If not then he was a month to month tenant. You cannot sell his stuff. You have to formally evict him.
If he was on the lease then that is a different issue.

SadSally

There is no lease involved. He moved in with me, I own my home. There was never a contract set up between us about his living in my home, payment arrangement to live there.. nothing,and I'm not looking for any money, I'm glad to have the cheater gone.

I'm just trying to figure out what my options are with the remaining furniture, since he will not answer my messages.

Thanks much
Sal....

LdiJ

Was he on the lease? If not then he was a month to month tenant. You cannot sell his stuff. You have to formally evict him.
If he was on the lease then that is a different issue.
If he wasn't on the lease and he voluntarily moved out, then he is no longer a month to month tenant, since he voluntarily vacated the property.

SadSally, I would strongly recommend that you NOT dispose of any of his furniture quite this quickly.

Isis1

There is no lease involved. He moved in with me, I own my home. There was never a contract set up between us about his living in my home, payment arrangement to live there.. nothing,and I'm not looking for any money, I'm glad to have the cheater gone.

I'm just trying to figure out what my options are with the remaining furniture, since he will not answer my messages.

Thanks much
Sal....
Okay. Here's the thing. Legally, he's a resident in your home. By law, he can move back in. So, here is my advice. Leave the issue alone for 30 days from his move out date. Don't contact him. He's dead to you. Okay?

Now, after the 30 days, send him a certified letter stating he has ten days to contact you in regards to his personal items or they will be disposed of. Now, if he doesn't contact you at all, take an axe to the damn things and have a cosmo, or two, or three...

LdiJ

Okay. Here's the thing. Legally, he's a resident in your home. By law, he can move back in. So, here is my advice. Leave the issue alone for 30 days from his move out date. Don't contact him. He's dead to you. Okay?
Again, I disagree. He voluntarily vacated the property. He moved out therefore relinquishing his tenancy.

Now, after the 30 days, send him a certified letter stating he has ten days to contact you in regards to his personal items or they will be disposed of. Now, if he doesn't contact you at all, take an axe to the damn things and have a cosmo, or two, or three...
Again, I am not at all sure that is not long enough for her to be safe from any repercussions regarding his property.

mistoffolees

Feel free to move the stuff into the garage or into storage if you wish.

I wouldn't do that. You never know when some squirrelly small claims judge would make her pay.

Instead, I would look at formal notification stating that he has 30 MORE days to pick it up or it will be donated to charity. Make sure he is properly served and you can prove it.

Or, as some have suggested, put it into a storage area, pay the first month's rent and then mail him the key and information. Again, make sure he is properly served.

SadSally

I just spoke with his sister, who told me he's been living with both the other woman and I. Instead of being on hunting trips, he's been staying with the other woman on those long weekends helps her pay her bills, just like he paid mine, and has furniture and things at her home too.

Unreal.....

Thank you all for your help.
Sal....

Banned_Princess

He moved out, he was a dirtbag, I dont think you will be in that much trubble if you send the cretified letter, then axed up his stuff.

Thats what I would do.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

I just spoke with his sister, who told me he's been living with both the other woman and I. Instead of being on hunting trips, he's been staying with the other woman on those long weekends helps her pay her bills, just like he paid mine, and has furniture and things at her home too.

Unreal.....

Thank you all for your help.
Sal....
Ok, you're still putting too much emotion into it. The best suggestion I saw would be to move his crap into a storage facility, mail him the key and wash your hands of this dirtbag. You're def. better off. ;)

FarmerJ

Sal he moved away , if you change locks , this should not be a huge problem unless he decided to attempt to claim he was still your tenant, not likley but possible. His personal property , https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=504B.271 section B says 504B.271 TENANT'S PERSONAL PROPERTY REMAINING IN PREMISES (b) The landlord may sell or otherwise dispose of the property 28 days after the landlord receives actual notice of the abandonment, or 28 days after it reasonably appears to the landlord that the tenant has abandoned the premises, whichever occurs last. So it appears you need to send notice NOW in the notice give him a couple extra days and write it to say if he doesnt pick up his personal property by November 30th you will treat it as abandoned. Sign and send it via certified mail to his current address, If you dont have it , his last known address will work because if he didnt put in a change of address and decided to attempt to sue you for the value of anything of his you get rid of you can bring to court your copy if the notice you sent , your reciept for the method of mailing you used and if by chance the letter comes back to you as not picked up leave it sealed and in original condition and he can explain to the court why he did not put in a forward address or pick up his mail when you defend your action by offering your proof of attempt to folllow that statute by setting the clock to start on his picking up his things. You are going to have to use reasonable care to store them during this time like say in garage. Do go to that link and read it , even though he was your BF at one time if you treat his property as if he was a tenant who abandoned it I think you would be okay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">