• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Break up of engagement...won't return my vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momo516

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I am going through a break up of an engagement. My fiancee initiated it. Unfortunately, last year I went to France and while I was gone, transferred my car title into his name so that he could drive it while I was gone. It is my vehicle that I paid for. Now he refuses to return the title back over to me and constantly threatens me to report the vehicle stolen in order to manipulate me. Is there anything I can do? I did not sell him the car, but I did sign it over. I may have emails from him referencing the car and joking about not returning it when I get back. Is there anyway I can legally get my car back?

Isis1

I am going through a break up of an engagement. My fiancee initiated it. Unfortunately, last year I went to France and while I was gone, transferred my car title into his name so that he could drive it while I was gone. It is my vehicle that I paid for. Now he refuses to return the title back over to me and constantly threatens me to report the vehicle stolen in order to manipulate me. Is there anything I can do? I did not sell him the car, but I did sign it over. I may have emails from him referencing the car and joking about not returning it when I get back. Is there anyway I can legally get my car back?

you gave him the car.

You Are Guilty

Oh boy, I'm going to enjoy reading the responses to this one... In the meantime:

Since he could have driven your car without you giving him legal title to it, you're going to have quite the uphill battle to claim that it's "your" car now.

HomeGuru

**A: the title to your post is incorrect in that it is NOT your vehicle. That is my response to your post.

momo516

I realize legally the car is now his. I'm not interested in that. What I want to know is if there is anyway I could take him to court to prove otherwise. I signed the car over because we were engaged and so he could get insurance on it and take me off the insurance to not have to pay it while I was overseas for 9 months. His insurance is cheaper than mine. I have emails from him threatening to not return the car if i cheated on him or whatever (as a joke, and no this is not the reason for the break up). I also have text messages saying he will sign the car over if I do a, b, or c. What I want to know is if there is any legal action I can take, or if I just have to suck it up and chalk it up to a lesson learned (hope not!).

proud_parent

I realize legally the car is now his. I'm not interested in that. What I want to know is if there is anyway I could take him to court to prove otherwise. I signed the car over because we were engaged and so he could get insurance on it and take me off the insurance to not have to pay it while I was overseas for 9 months. His insurance is cheaper than mine. I have emails from him threatening to not return the car if i cheated on him or whatever (as a joke, and no this is not the reason for the break up). I also have text messages saying he will sign the car over if I do a, b, or c. What I want to know is if there is any legal action I can take, or if I just have to suck it up and chalk it up to a lesson learned (hope not!).
You want to know whether you can prove that what is, is not? :confused:

Advice: Forget the car that used to be yours and go buy yourself a box of chalk...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">