• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broke up with Fiance. We combined FInances. I was authorized user on all credit cards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1900Italy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? : MN

I need some advice on going through with a nasty break up. I was engaged to a woman I was seeing for over a year and we were going to get married in 2016 (We agreed to 1 year engagement). We bought a house (Under her name not mine) and we decided to combine all of our finances together. I had all of my paychecks direct deposited to her account. She added me as Authorized users on all her credit card accounts she established when we bought the house. My money was used to pay those down. She made payments on these credit cards directly out of her own checking account. She acknowledges these were open credit cards to her name by making payments

We broke up and she is threatening to file police report for fraud on her credit cards. She stated that I used them without her permission even though she acknowledges she added me to the credit cards. The evidence: I was an authorized user and all charges were made by me and sometimes by both of us.

Does she had a criminal case against me or does this go to Civil Court?

single317dad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? : MN

I need some advice on going through with a nasty break up. I was engaged to a woman I was seeing for over a year and we were going to get married in 2016 (We agreed to 1 year engagement). We bought a house (Under her name not mine) and we decided to combine all of our finances together. I had all of my paychecks direct deposited to her account. She added me as Authorized users on all her credit card accounts she established when we bought the house. My money was used to pay those down. She made payments on these credit cards directly out of her own checking account. She acknowledges these were open credit cards to her name by making payments

We broke up and she is threatening to file police report for fraud on her credit cards. She stated that I used them without her permission even though she acknowledges she added me to the credit cards. The evidence: I was an authorized user and all charges were made by me and sometimes by both of us.

Does she had a criminal case against me or does this go to Civil Court?
Presented with the same facts in the same manner as you've related them here, I doubt the police will investigate, and I doubt the prosecutor would be interested in pursuing charges. If she tells them a different story and they contact you, be sure to consult with a criminal defense attorney before "telling your side just to clear things up".

LdiJ

Presented with the same facts in the same manner as you've related them here, I doubt the police will investigate, and I doubt the prosecutor would be interested in pursuing charges. If she tells them a different story and they contact you, be sure to consult with a criminal defense attorney before "telling your side just to clear things up".
I agree...but hopefully you did not use the cards after the breakup and hopefully there were no major purchases that were hidden from her.

1900Italy

Thanks. I did contact an attorney in this area and he told me the same. As long I was an authorized user and she had knowledge of having payments taking out of her checking account where both incomes were direct depositing to will not warrant a criminal charge but I wanted to double check on here first and get more feedback. I was told from one attorney at AVVO that I could and laughed at it. I did agree to pay her back as usual but she went with the accusing fraud route which seems most relationships do when you co-habit together prior to marriage.

I agree...but hopefully you did not use the cards after the breakup and hopefully there were no major purchases that were hidden from her.
We made 2 major purchases which was a bed and couch but we were together that time on the cards. Other than that it was for expenses at the time I was unemployed and balances grew. She was not maxed out on credit though or her credit scores took a dive. It stayed in the 700+.

Does it matter if combining finances and making payments to the cards is not considered fraud? ( even though i was authorized user).

There were no hidden credit lines used.

Proserpina

Thanks. I did contact an attorney in this area and he told me the same. As long I was an authorized user and she had knowledge of having payments taking out of her checking account where both incomes were direct depositing to will not warrant a criminal charge but I wanted to double check on here first and get more feedback. I was told from one attorney at AVVO that I could and laughed at it. I did agree to pay her back as usual but she went with the accusing fraud route which seems most relationships do when you co-habit together prior to marriage.
The attorney is correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">