• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broke up - what now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

musicman76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I have been with my girlfreind off ond on once but total of 10 yrs. She has been living in my home (buying) for aboutfive yrs. I pay all mortgae and bills plus her $100-140 copay weekly on doctor visits. Her daughter also has lived with me/us. We had lived in her Great grandmas house until just after her passing in 2003. She recently broke up with me (sept 3) I made it known she would need to move out (eventually, but sooner the better) and she mentioned that her lawyer had papers drawn up that she could get my paycheck garnished and take half of my house. What do I need to do to get her to leavee promptly, but without legal backlash. I feel that I have been generous and don't need to be taken advantage of, but I am worried that she would get dirty and do anything to get back at me. please turn me in the right direction.

nextwife

Who is on title of the home? Take half your house WHY?

Have your paycheck garnished for WHAT?

You have no responsibility to pay her medical or support her daughter from a different relationship.

Last edited:

JETX

What do I need to do to get her to leavee promptly, but without legal backlash
Of course, no one can answer that question completely... partly, since we don't know what you mean by backlash. If you mean no legal challenge ever.... unlikely.

Your ONLY option is to give her a written notice to terminate her 'tenancy rights' as required by your state laws. If she doesn't leave at the end of the notice, you will have to file an eviction lawsuit.

The general steps in an Indiana eviction:
1. The landlord tells the tenant the landlord wants the tenant to move out.
2. The landlord files a case against the tenant.
3. The tenant receives notice of the lawsuit by certified mail or by the Sheriff.
4. The first hearing is to decide who has the right to possession of the apartment. If the tenant is in violation of the contract (for example, if the tenant is behind in rent), the landlord will have the right to possession and the court will order that the tenant be out by a certain date. (This is usually within a few days of the court hearing; you don’t get much time to move). If the court finds the tenant hasn't violated the lease, then the case is over and the tenant does not have to move.
5. There is often a second hearing for the court to decide if the tenant owes the landlord any money. The tenant can also tell the court if the tenant thinks the landlord owes the tenant any money.

I could walk you through the entire process, but here is a link to a site that will do so.
Read and FOLLOW the information at:
How to evict a Tenant in Indiana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">