• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother & Sister sharing the same room?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mlopezvega

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My cousin and her husband are in a situation where they have two children and can only afford a two bedroom apartment; which means their children (boy 11 yrs and girl 9 yrs) have to share a room. Their son is mentally slower (about at a 6 year old capacity)

Till what age is this permitted/ legal?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mlopezvega said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My cousin and her husband are in a situation where they have two children and can only afford a two bedroom apartment; which means their children (boy 11 yrs and girl 9 yrs) have to share a room. Their son is mentally slower (about at a 6 year old capacity)

Till what age is this permitted/ legal?

My response:

I am not aware that this situation is "illegal" in any jurisdiction in the United States. Sometimes, parents can only do, or afford, just so much, and housing conditions may not be the best.

Some children aren't born with a silver spoon in their mouths, and being poor is not illegal. People "make do" with what they have.

Remember, this country was born of one-room log cabins. For example, our President Lincoln was brought up in such a cabin where he shared sleeping quarters with his father, stepmother, and his brother.

Not the best of situations, but we do whatever we can within our means.

IAAL

JETX

There are no statutes prohibiting two siblings of same or different sex, from sharing the same bedroom. Or two adults either.

M

mlopezvega

Thank you for you response.

But one of the reasons that this question came up was that when renting the apartment, they were asked what age are their children. After my cousin told them their ages and the problem with their son, the rental agent said it was "ok" for now. ??? and that it was illegal for children from different sex to share a room after a certain age.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mlopezvega said:
Thank you for you response.

But one of the reasons that this question came up was that when renting the apartment, they were asked what age are their children. After my cousin told them their ages and the problem with their son, the rental agent said it was "ok" for now. ??? and that it was illegal for children from different sex to share a room after a certain age.

My response:

Say to the agent, "Show me the law - - give me some legal authority for your statement."

Don't settle for personal opinions or the agent's beliefs. That's not law. That's just his/her "Bible Thumping" belief, and it's bullcrap.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">