+ Reply to Thread
    mlopezvega Guest

Question Brother & Sister sharing the same room?

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My cousin and her husband are in a situation where they have two children and can only afford a two bedroom apartment; which means their children (boy 11 yrs and girl 9 yrs) have to share a room. Their son is mentally slower (about at a 6 year old capacity)

Till what age is this permitted/ legal?
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member

Re: Brother & Sister sharing the same room?

Originally posted by mlopezvega
    What is the name of your state? Michigan

My cousin and her husband are in a situation where they have two children and can only afford a two bedroom apartment; which means their children (boy 11 yrs and girl 9 yrs) have to share a room. Their son is mentally slower (about at a 6 year old capacity)

Till what age is this permitted/ legal?

My response:

I am not aware that this situation is "illegal" in any jurisdiction in the United States. Sometimes, parents can only do, or afford, just so much, and housing conditions may not be the best.

Some children aren't born with a silver spoon in their mouths, and being poor is not illegal. People "make do" with what they have.

Remember, this country was born of one-room log cabins. For example, our President Lincoln was brought up in such a cabin where he shared sleeping quarters with his father, stepmother, and his brother.

Not the best of situations, but we do whatever we can within our means.

IAAL
    JETX is offline Senior Member
    There are no statutes prohibiting two siblings of same or different sex, from sharing the same bedroom. Or two adults either.
    mlopezvega Guest
    Thank you for you response.

But one of the reasons that this question came up was that when renting the apartment, they were asked what age are their children. After my cousin told them their ages and the problem with their son, the rental agent said it was "ok" for now. ??? and that it was illegal for children from different sex to share a room after a certain age.
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by mlopezvega
    Thank you for you response.

But one of the reasons that this question came up was that when renting the apartment, they were asked what age are their children. After my cousin told them their ages and the problem with their son, the rental agent said it was "ok" for now. ??? and that it was illegal for children from different sex to share a room after a certain age.

My response:

Say to the agent, "Show me the law - - give me some legal authority for your statement."

Don't settle for personal opinions or the agent's beliefs. That's not law. That's just his/her "Bible Thumping" belief, and it's bullcrap.

IAAL