• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is burying someones ashes on your property legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kittykat1

What is the name of your state? Brownstown Twsp. Michigan
My sister in law was cremated and we wanted to bury her ashes in our garden. Is that legal?:(

H

hexeliebe

Have you called your township council and asked the zoning and/or health regulations? This is the place to find out.

I doubt very seriously if anyone here can help you because every city, municipality and/or township has power to set regulations as to the disposal of dead bodies. whether or not ashes fall under this rule is a question of fact you must address at city hall.

HomeGuru

kittykat1 said:
What is the name of your state? Brownstown Twsp. Michigan
My sister in law was cremated and we wanted to bury her ashes in our garden. Is that legal?:(
**A: yes.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I've buried ashes of numerous pets in my backyard. Not quite the same, but not all that different.

nextwife

Funny, NYPD Blue JUST this week ran a show in which a subplot involved a retired cop and his wife's attempt to comply with his last wish that his half his ashes be buried somewhere in the precinct. They ended up mixing ashes into concrete for a concrete floor repair, and thus "burying" him in the building.

I have no idea, but check with your municipality. They can advise you.

VeronicaGia

Brownstown Township? Who's going to stop you? Who's going to know? For all they know, you're digging a hole to put a plant in it.

Another good idea, and one my sister did when her husband died unexpectedly: She lives in Clinton Twp. She buried her husband's ashes and had a stone made with a poem on it and put it on the dirt where his ashes are buried.

Do it.

H

hexeliebe

Clinton Township? Hey, I know where that is. Spent a month there one night on my way from Detroit.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">