• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Divorce Case Status: Denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geoworth

I am the respondent in a divorce proceeding and I checked the status of the case today and it says "DENIED". The case was filed in 2003 and never finalized but there were temporary support and custody orders handed down in 2003. Does this mean the case is dismissed and needs to be filed all over again? What happens with the temporary orders?

single317dad

I am the respondent in a divorce proceeding and I checked the status of the case today and it says "DENIED". The case was filed in 2003 and never finalized but there were temporary support and custody orders handed down in 2003. Does this mean the case is dismissed and needs to be filed all over again? What happens with the temporary orders?
I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in the online case status. It's possible a particular motion was denied, or the divorce was denied for failure to prove the fault grounds it was based on (the only one of which is incurable insanity), or dismissed for lack of prosecution under section 583. More important would be to find out the reason the case status changed at all. Were there any recent motions or hearings in the case?

Last edited:

LdiJ

Yes, it means that the divorce would have to be started all over again. The temporary orders for custody and child support might still be valid depending on facts that that are not in evidence here...but certainly after 11 years of status quo it could be problematic to ignore those temporary orders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">