• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CALIFORNIA QUADRO?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DANENDEB

I have a California QUADRO in effect against my pension from a prior job from my original divorce agreement. My ex-wife now wants to give up her rights to my future pension in exchange for me giving her back the right to claim our two children as tax exemptions. My question is this, can a QUADRO be reversed and how complicated is it? Is it something that I can obtain the forms and file on my own behalf? Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated ASAP.

Thank you in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DANENDEB said:
I have a California QUADRO in effect against my pension from a prior job from my original divorce agreement. My ex-wife now wants to give up her rights to my future pension in exchange for me giving her back the right to claim our two children as tax exemptions. My question is this, can a QUADRO be reversed and how complicated is it? Is it something that I can obtain the forms and file on my own behalf? Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated ASAP.

Thank you in advance.
My response:

A "QDRO" order was set up for the maintenance of your children. It provides far more money for the children than any tax exemption could ever possibly provide. Therefore, and since it is the court's obligation to make sure that the children do not become a burden to the taxpayers, it would be extremely difficult to cancel the original order.

However, if financial circumstances have changed dramatically, and someone is willing to put up a bond to guarantee the children's maintenance, it wouldn't be impossible to cancel a QDRO. Just a word of warning, that unless there has been an extreme, marked, change in financial circumstances for the better, filing for a change in the original court orders to allow the "Plan Administrator" to cancel all payments, you would be spinning your wheels and spending big bucks for nothing.

IAAL

D

DANENDEB

CALIFORNIA QDRO

Actually...my QDRO has nothing to do with my children as they will be adults for a long time when the retirement money comes into question. My QDRO only applies to my ex-wife's share of my pension that I earned while still married to her. Just like social security when I retire, she will be entitled to 1/2 my pension for the time we were married. There is a formula that calculates the exact amount based on time at that job, length of the marriage, etc.

Any comments?
Thanks
Dane

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">