• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a 16 yr old own property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vankmg

in the state of Kansas can a 16 year old own a car and have their name on the title? or do their parents actually own the car until the child turns 18? thanks,

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

vankmg said:
in the state of Kansas can a 16 year old own a car and have their name on the title? or do their parents actually own the car until the child turns 18? thanks,
My response:

A minor can own anything. Cars, businesses, buildings, land, skateboards, luxury ships - - anything. A minor has the same Constitutional rights as anyone else.

Now, the question becomes, is a minor able to "exercise" those rights to do with those properties (both real estate and personal property) as he / she decides, just like an adult? In some cases, no. For example, let's talk about that car. While a minor can own the car, the minor still needs a drivers license to operate that car. So, while the minor can own and look upon and gaze at that car, the State may not "allow" the minor to use that car as it was designed; i.e., it's illegal to drive without a license.

In summary, children of all ages receive property of all types each and every day - - money, cars, property, etc., through gifts, inheritances, and straight-out purchase. As long as the item being purchased or owned is legal, a minor can own and control anything. Some "child Kings" have even owned whole countries.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">