• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can adult disown parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgiabelle

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am a 37 y.o. female with a 6 y.o son. I am divorced and am living with my parents to save money at their invitation. My mom has decided after 43 years of marriage to divorce my dad. This was a surprise to all involved. My dad had to move out and my mom verbally abuses me and my son. It has gotten so bad that my dad has told his attorney. My mom is lying to family and neighbors about the situation, my dad, myself, and my brother. She calls me a whore in front of my son. I know the obvious solution is to move out but I am a single mother working part-time to try to raise my son, volunteer at his school, be a licensed substitute teacher, and caregiver to my elderly father and older brother who has an inoperable brain tumor and also lives in the home. My dad had put in the preliminary divorce papers that my mom cannot make my brother and I move out because that was her first intention besides the fact that neither of us has anywhere to go on the spur of the moment and we take care of the house/yard, etc. Can I "disown" my mother as an adult? She threatens to (and has done so) tell lies to my ex and says she will see he gets custody. This is her way of the ultimate hurt to me-she doesn't think of the consequences to her only grandchild. THANKS!

nextwife

Dearie, you are 37 years old! If you don't like living with Mommy or how Mommy talks to you, get out and get your OWN place. You are an adult. Gee!

You are more than grown up enough, child or not, to support yourself and stop complaining about how Mommy doesn't talk nice to you, while you continue to LIVE UNDER HER ROOF.

Last edited:

georgiabelle

re:"nextwife"

Thank you for your ignorant "advice"- you obviously provide a lot of useless entertainment to everyone on this site (and elsewhere, too). I have a college degree and care for a heart patient (my father) and my dying-of-a-brain-tumor brother. Sure, "Dearie" I can, and have had my own home but my family and their health is more important. I was asking if anything can be done about severe verbal abuse until my "Mommy" exits my dad's (not hers) residence.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Except nw's advice is on point. You have no say in your parents' divorce. If you don't like how Mom is treating you, Dad, bro - you're allowed to move out. You're even allowed to move in where Dad's living. With or without your brother. It is unlikely that your Dad will be able to force Mom to allow you all to continue living in the home with her. And why would you want to?

nextwife

georgiabelle said:
I was asking if anything can be done about severe verbal abuse until my "Mommy" exits my dad's (not hers) residence.
And how is it that the marital homestead in any way is "not hers"? If she TRULY has NO marital property/homestead/leasee rights to the place, Dad should have his attorney serve her with eviction notice. And if she DOES have any of those rights, then the property is NOT solely Dad's

bahamamama

get a life, oops "nextwife"

It seems you have a lot of anger issues by your responses. This person asked a legitimate question and doesn't deserve to be bashed. We can all give thanks you adopted and didn't reproduce..........

Happy Trails

bahamamama said:
It seems you have a lot of anger issues by your responses. This person asked a legitimate question and doesn't deserve to be bashed. We can all give thanks you adopted and didn't reproduce..........
So you joined this site just to reply to nextwife?

nextwife

And FYI- Plenty of us who have adopted ALSO have older biokids. It's rather naive to believe that only parents with infertility issues adopt!

casa

bahamamama said:
She's a parent either way, so what does adoption have to do with it? What an ignorant comment!

The OP went on a legal advice board to ask if she can make her mother stop talking badly to her...while she is a 37 year old adult living in her mother's home. If she was a good parent herself, she would NOT allow her son to live in a home where he had to endure this type of behavior and hostility!

Rushia

bahamamama said:
And you have room to talk because.....?

There was no bashing. OP is an adult and if she doesn't like living with her mother then she can move out of her parents home.

Ahva

The Questions.....

I didnt see an answer,just personal feelings "comments"

Can you disown your parents as an adult? If yes ... How do you disown your parents?What Steps?
Thx

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I didnt see an answer,just personal feelings "comments"

Can you disown your parents as an adult? If yes ... How do you disown your parents?What Steps?
Thx
This thread is three years old. POST a new thread -- your own thread -- providing details.

Ahva

The QUESTION IS...

As for starting a new thread? I get responce from this one,so no reason to.

Dont need details as why i want to know..The QUESTION IS...

If you dont know the answer.. then dont reply..thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">