• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a (formal)common Law marriage later be converted to a standard marriage? (Texas)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lunarrhythm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My fiance, whom I have lived with for two years, would like for us to join in a common law marriage (by filling out out the relevant form at the Bureau of Vital Statistics) prior to our marriage ceremony, to enjoy the legal benefits of marriage prior to our marriage ceremony (we need to save money for this, so this will likely occur a year or more into the future).

My question is, can this common law marriage later be 'converted' or 'reestablished' as a standard marriage by filling out the appropriate paperwork?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My fiance, whom I have lived with for two years, would like for us to join in a common law marriage (by filling out out the relevant form at the Bureau of Vital Statistics) prior to our marriage ceremony, to enjoy the legal benefits of marriage prior to our marriage ceremony (we need to save money for this, so this will likely occur a year or more into the future).

My question is, can this common law marriage later be 'converted' or 'reestablished' as a standard marriage by filling out the appropriate paperwork?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You need to "save money" to visit a JP? Gotta save for that big ol' $100.00 charge??

lunarrhythm

Well, that's a charming response, isn't it?

But no, it's not a matter of saving for the JP, its a matter of saving for the actual wedding.

For some reason, I hadn't considered simply going through that now- for some reason the idea of doing it before the wedding didn't appeal to me, whereas a common law marriage before the fact doesn't bother me as much for whatever reason. Which really, is non-nonsensical as both are roughly equivalent in Texas's eyes.

But, simply put, you've got a point.

Just Blue

But no, it's not a matter of saving for the JP, its a matter of saving for the actual wedding.

For some reason, I hadn't considered simply going through that now- for some reason the idea of doing it before the wedding didn't appeal to me, whereas a common law marriage before the fact doesn't bother me as much for whatever reason. Which really, is non-nonsensical as both are roughly equivalent in Texas's eyes.

I am a charmer am I not?? :p

Are you saying that a legal marrage with a JP is the same as a CLM? In all ways? If so...Why not just do a JP marrage and not have the legal hassel of a CLM???

Jus'Sayin".

mistoffolees

You could do what my sister did. Her husband was going into the military and they wanted to be married before he went in for various reasons. So they got a justice of the peace wedding right away and then had a big church wedding sometime later. The church isn't going to care that you already have a wedding license (at least, not most churches).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">