• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I break this agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ag3Usn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey.
Hello, I'll make this short...and I apologize if it's in the wrong category.

Essentially, I'm wondering how to go about breaking an agreement (contract, whatever it is) between my soon to be ex-wife and me. I didn't want to do it, but I was bombarded and pressured by her and her mother to just sign it.

We separated, not legally, but I'm divorcing her so I just had her moved back home and I'm waiting to save money to file for divorce (I can't afford the papers lol). She didn't trust me and wanted me to sign a paper stating I would give her X amount of BAH until we're divorced (we have no kids and married a year, she has a kid though, I didn't adopt). I stay in a barracks on base that I pay for, and found out that i have to pay more than I thought, so I have to break the agreement regardless, I can't afford to pay out of pocket with the rest. She's very vindictive and she knows her chances of alimony are slim so she would use this opportunity to sue me or something for breaking the agreement.

I signed the paper, so did my wife, as well as her mother as a witness. What can happen if I break the agreement? Thank you in advance.

Your agreement is not a court order. How it will be viewed ultimately in the divorce if you fail to follow it I'll leave up to others to answer. However, until you are divorced your wife is your dependent and Army regulations require you to provide support to your dependents. In absence of a court order, a soldier is normally required to provide an amount the same as his "with dependents" BAH rate.

If your STBX complains to the Army, your commander will counsel you and may strongly suggest you take this action. However, without a court order, your pay cannot be garnished. But your command can take action as they deem fit for failure to support your dependents.

Ag3Usn

Thanks a lot, I'm in the navy, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same in any branch. She is getting most of the BAH, more than her states BAH would be if we were to get the BAH for her state, I just need a little more to cover my end, it seems no one cares about service members money problems if the spouse complains enough about hers lol. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">