• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I enforce Promissory Estoppel on my husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TNix876

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My husband and I split about 2 years ago, and he moved out while I remained in the residence with our 3 children. In May of 2011, because of finances, I mentioned to him that the kids and I would have to move because I could no longer afford the rent. He agreed to move back in and pay a little more than half the rent. His terms were that if he came back, he was staying for good (or until our 6yr old graduated from high school). He moved back in June 2011. Last week he told me that he will be moving out as of Feb 1st, 2012. Needless to say I was completely taken aback by this. We hadn't had any problems. Come to find out, he has a girlfriend and she has a problem with him living with me and his kids. I run my daycare business out of our home, so living here is necessary for me to get a paycheck. The day he told me he was moving out, I listed two of my bedrooms for rent so that my kids and I could continue living here. Yesterday, my landlord came to my door and informed me that my husband had sent him a 30 day move out notice. Because he did that, my landlord is now requiring proof from me that I can financially maintain this house in the way of 3x the monthly rent. If I am unable to do so I must move out. I know there are alot of issues that can be addressed here. I have been looking into something called "Promissory Estoppel". I'm not sure if that would apply to my situation. But because of his actions, I am not only about to lose the house that my children and I live in, but also my job. Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My husband and I split about 2 years ago, and he moved out while I remained in the residence with our 3 children. In May of 2011, because of finances, I mentioned to him that the kids and I would have to move because I could no longer afford the rent. He agreed to move back in and pay a little more than half the rent. His terms were that if he came back, he was staying for good (or until our 6yr old graduated from high school). He moved back in June 2011. Last week he told me that he will be moving out as of Feb 1st, 2012. Needless to say I was completely taken aback by this. We hadn't had any problems. Come to find out, he has a girlfriend and she has a problem with him living with me and his kids. I run my daycare business out of our home, so living here is necessary for me to get a paycheck. The day he told me he was moving out, I listed two of my bedrooms for rent so that my kids and I could continue living here. Yesterday, my landlord came to my door and informed me that my husband had sent him a 30 day move out notice. Because he did that, my landlord is now requiring proof from me that I can financially maintain this house in the way of 3x the monthly rent. If I am unable to do so I must move out. I know there are alot of issues that can be addressed here. I have been looking into something called "Promissory Estoppel". I'm not sure if that would apply to my situation. But because of his actions, I am not only about to lose the house that my children and I live in, but also my job. Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
File for divorce and request child support. Promissory Estoppel is NOT going to help you. Are you licensed?

Antigone*

Your husband gave you proper notice.

ecmst12

File for divorce, ask for child support and temporary spousal support. And keep looking for a roommate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">