• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I evict a family member from a home that doesn't belong to either of us?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ejonee2002

New York

I am living in my late grandparent's home with my 53 year old uncle who has no income. I was asked to move in to care for the home and pay bills instead of renting an apartment while the house is in probate. I am the responsible party for all bills past and present. My uncle has a history of addiction and has been in rehab many times. Prior instances have been suspected but not actually witnessed by me. My uncle is now abusing drugs in the house and I want him out. I called the police when he has used and was told to go to family court. I am going to file a petition in the morning because he is becoming violent and increasingly combative. Is is legal to have him removed as his drug abuse is endangering me and my family? I have a 9 month old granddaughter who is not even allowed in the house because of the dangers.

Hisbabygirl77

New York

I am living in my late grandparent's home with my 53 year old uncle who has no income. I was asked to move in to care for the home and pay bills instead of renting an apartment while the house is in probate. I am the responsible party for all bills past and present. My uncle has a history of addiction and has been in rehab many times. Prior instances have been suspected but not actually witnessed by me. My uncle is now abusing drugs in the house and I want him out. I called the police when he has used and was told to go to family court. I am going to file a petition in the morning because he is becoming violent and increasingly combative. Is is legal to have him removed as his drug abuse is endangering me and my family? I have a 9 month old granddaughter who is not even allowed in the house because of the dangers.
If he becomes violent or combative with you call the police that is a police matter. Then you can go down to the court house and get a restraining order where he is not allowed to contact you in anyway. As for evictions you may want to post under real estate laws part of this website.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">