• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I get my son back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

missing piece

My son will be three in May. I took care of him for the first 2 years. A month before his 2nd birthday, my parents, who I was living with, put a dead-bolt lock on the door. They said they would put me in jail for abandonment, and I would never see him again; if, I did not sign custody papers. I had no where to take him. I had stayed at home (at there request) for the first 15 months. I am FAR from being a perfect parent. I never hurt him, I never put him in any danger. I was good to him. They just wanted to make sure if I left home he would stay. I know they are very attached to him; but, isn't that wrong? Every since, they have used him to control me. They made him stop calling me Mom, and start calling them Mom and Dad. I did not sign away adoption rights. They said they would do anything in their power to keep me from getting my son back. Can they? Is there anyway for me to get him back? I have a lawyer, he said we just need to put in some paper in the courts. I have been waiting, I know they are going to fight me. How long can this thing take. I am married, now. I want my family to be together. I miss my baby! (Illinois)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

missing piece said:
My son will be three in May. I took care of him for the first 2 years. A month before his 2nd birthday, my parents, who I was living with, put a dead-bolt lock on the door. They said they would put me in jail for abandonment, and I would never see him again; if, I did not sign custody papers. I had no where to take him. I had stayed at home (at there request) for the first 15 months. I am FAR from being a perfect parent. I never hurt him, I never put him in any danger. I was good to him. They just wanted to make sure if I left home he would stay. I know they are very attached to him; but, isn't that wrong? Every since, they have used him to control me. They made him stop calling me Mom, and start calling them Mom and Dad. I did not sign away adoption rights. They said they would do anything in their power to keep me from getting my son back. Can they? Is there anyway for me to get him back? I have a lawyer, he said we just need to put in some paper in the courts. I have been waiting, I know they are going to fight me. How long can this thing take. I am married, now. I want my family to be together. I miss my baby! (Illinois)
My response:

Thank you for writing, but since you have an attorney, it to your attorney to whom you should be directing your question.

IAAL

LegalBeagle

missing piece said:
After you arrived back to find the door locked and the child inside. Did you march down to the local police station and file kidnapping charges ?. Most police will not get involved in custody disputes between bio parents, but your parents refusing to hand over the child is no different that a friend or neigbor doing the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">