• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i get a restraining order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

camom19

My husband and I recently moved to AZ. In the past, we have both had alot of problems with his mother who is in CA, and his sister who is in OR. We are at the point that we've told them several times to stop contacting us, sending packages, emailing us, everything. We want nothing to do with them, we want no contact with them, but they don't get it and continue. There was never any violence, just harassment. Would we be able to get a restraining order or what else could we do to make them know we are serious when we tell them to leave us alone?What is the name of your state?

acmb05

My husband and I recently moved to AZ. In the past, we have both had alot of problems with his mother who is in CA, and his sister who is in OR. We are at the point that we've told them several times to stop contacting us, sending packages, emailing us, everything. We want nothing to do with them, we want no contact with them, but they don't get it and continue. There was never any violence, just harassment. Would we be able to get a restraining order or what else could we do to make them know we are serious when we tell them to leave us alone?What is the name of your state?
Don't answer the phone, return all letters and packages, block email from your inbox.

EvilEmpryss

Don't answer the phone, return all letters and packages, block email from your inbox.
I would add:

If possible, change your number and make it unlisted.

Make the time to talk to your postman about the desire to avoid mail from these two addressees, then write "Moved, no forwarding address" on all letters or packages... better yet, get an official-looking rubber stamp w/ red ink made up and use it on all the mail from them. The heads-up to your postman makes sure that the rest of your mail still gets through!

And yeah, add their email addresses to your "blocked" or "spam" lists. Either one will work.

FarmerJ

get a new post office box for your mail you wish to get and do not permit the mail carrier to forward your mail instead remove the mail box from the house USPS will not deliver mail in my area when there is no box, If the carrier questions it explain to the carrier your getting unwanted mail and this is how you have chose to stop it by letting them return anything not addressed to your PO box as not deliverable. Change your email account names and go non published on your phone. Make sure every thing is changed that needs to be , ALL bills you normally get , any real estate related documents ETC sooner or later these family members will get the hint hopefully and give up eventually. BTW learn from your state motor vehicle desk if you can opt out of any information listing systems they have that allows others to get your current DL info from your states DMV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">