• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I keep my maiden name after marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qingqing

What is the name of your state? AR

hi guys...I came to US with a fiancee's visa and married my hubby last year. This is what I encountered at DMV last week and need your advice and help.

I passed the road test and went to get the license issued. The clerk there insisted that I should follow my husband's last name or they couldn't issue me a license. Both my hubby and I were really confused and upset as we'd never heard of the enforcement of taking husband's last name. I have SSN and Green card in my maiden name and I have no intention or will to change my surname to my husband's. Hubby told her under no law was I forced to take his surname. However, she wouldn't listen. She said I had to get a court order indicating I could keep my maiden name.

I came back hoping I could find some info regarding the women's right to retain their maiden name but so far nothing has happened.

If any of you who has similar experience or relevant knowledge, pls let me know. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

ceara19

qingqing said:
What is the name of your state? AR

hi guys...I came to US with a fiancee's visa and married my hubby last year. This is what I encountered at DMV last week and need your advice and help.

I passed the road test and went to get the license issued. The clerk there insisted that I should follow my husband's last name or they couldn't issue me a license. Both my hubby and I were really confused and upset as we'd never heard of the enforcement of taking husband's last name. I have SSN and Green card in my maiden name and I have no intention or will to change my surname to my husband's. Hubby told her under no law was I forced to take his surname. However, she wouldn't listen. She said I had to get a court order indicating I could keep my maiden name.

I came back hoping I could find some info regarding the women's right to retain their maiden name but so far nothing has happened.

If any of you who has similar experience or relevant knowledge, pls let me know. I really appreciate it. Thanks.
The DMV has no control over changing a person's name. Call the DMV and speak to the supervisor.

LdiJ

ceara19 said:
The DMV has no control over changing a person's name. Call the DMV and speak to the supervisor.
I agree 100%...if your SS card and your Green card are both issued in your legal (maiden) name then the DMV personel had no business insisting that you register with any other name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">