• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I make her leave?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

colt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello All,

So my wife of 27 years is cheating on me. The house is in my name only and I make the mortgage payments. I asked her to leave and she won't. can I just change the locks or do I have to legally let her stay? any help would be appreciated.:mad:

Banned_Princess

Hello All,

So my wife of 27 years is cheating on me. The house is in my name only and I make the mortgage payments. I asked her to leave and she won't. can I just change the locks or do I have to legally let her stay? any help would be appreciated.:mad:
No way can you change the locks, the cops will just make you let her in.

You have to file for divorce and go through that to "get her to leave" Legally she gets to stay.

Just Blue

Hello All,

No. You may not toss her out of her residence. You may file for divorce and primary possession of the marital residence.

LdiJ

Hello All,

In addition to what you have already been told, TX is a community property state so its irrelevant that the house is in your name only.

She gets to stay until a judge orders that you get exclusive use of the marital home.

She will also be entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets (including home equity and retirement accounts) and be responsible for 1/2 of the marital debts. The cheating won't matter...sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">