• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i place a restraining order on ex-wife of spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wagnd4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Can I place a restraing order on an ex-wife of my husbands who wont stop with harassing phone call and e-mails after telling her to stop 3 years ago??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Can I place a restraing order on an ex-wife of my husbands who wont stop with harassing phone call and e-mails after telling her to stop 3 years ago??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
you can REQUEST a restraining order. it doesn't mean it will be granted. are there children involved?

and your grammar is a little confusing. has she been calling and e-mailing for 3 years straight and recently asked her to stop? or did you tell her to stop 3 years ago but are okay with it since 3 years ago?

wagnd4

We have both been asking her to stop the emails and phone calls for about 3 years now to no evail. There were younger kids involved so we were trying to keep it all on the "down-low". But NOT anymore. The kids are off to college and it's time to get aggressive! She has been getting alot of allimony as well and we are off to court again because she claims she needs more money....as she works on her PhD!

Proserpina

We have both been asking her to stop the emails and phone calls for about 3 years now to no evail. There were younger kids involved so we were trying to keep it all on the "down-low". But NOT anymore. The kids are off to college and it's time to get aggressive! She has been getting alot of allimony as well and we are off to court again because she claims she needs more money....as she works on her PhD!

Yeah, y'know?

Take a step back. You're not off to court - your husband is off to court.

Let your husband deal with her and HIS alimony situation. You're likely only inflaming things.

LillianX

One of the reasons for alimony is so the lower earning spouse can get an education. Good for her.

wagnd4

She's been well educated for 30 years now. It's her NOT letting go of her ex is what seems to be fueling these constant threats from her. I (we) would just like some legal suggestions to stop all this.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

She's been well aducated for 30 years now. It's her NOT letting go of her ex is what seems to be fueling these constant threats from her. I (we) would just like some legal suggestions to stop all this.
Have your husband sign up here with his own account. There is absolutely nothing that YOU can do.

wagnd4

There is nothing I (or we) can do based on what? Do you understand or know the laws of this problem?

Isis1

There is nothing I (or we) can do based on what? Do you understand or know the laws of this problem?
no no no. you are not comprehending. your husband can do lots. he just needs to be here. it's his dirty laundry you are airing out.

wagnd4

That's why I am here**************I don't know the laws available to help me. You misunderstand me. There is no "tone" at all to my questions. I am here for some help of those who have dealt with this problem.

ecmst12

If she is threatening YOU with violence, you can file for a restraining order. That is the extent to which YOU can do anything.

mistoffolees

Oh, I can assure you that I understand the laws better than you do.

You see, the problem is that you are not a party to the matter in any legal sense. You have nothing to do with their alimony. You have nothing to do with their child support (if any). You have nothing to do with their property division. Legally, you are not part of their divorce or any of the issues that come out of their divorce.

Now, if you are in danger or feel threatened, you could file for a restraining order. But I'm not hearing any threats, just a complaint about her phone calls and letters.

If the letters are addressed to your husband, you should not be opening them. If they're addressed to you, throw them in the trash.

Get caller ID on the phone. If she calls, ignore it. Or have your husband answer.

That's it. Problem solved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">