• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue ex of 10 yrs for mental anguish? Please help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lovingmom

(mississippi) Strange,uncommon situation... My ex has manipulated me for years by playing good father/mentally tormenting with threats for years.. Tried to seek assistance from state agency with no success..Now after 10 yrs,ex never was ordered to pay support on our 3 children. Ex made 100,000 last year/I made 7500.00. Unfortunately, I fell on hard times and seeked financial help from ex. He refused to help--I had no car, no job and 3 teenagers to raised by myself! Beforehand, I always payed my bills on time, regained my credit back after 9 long years, worked 60 hrs a wk at a small cafe making a decent living for a single mom, and managed to go to school full-time receiving a 4.0 GPA.. I proud of my accomplishments. I would have been more successful if ex would of helped, but since he wasnt ordered to he avoided my financial plea for help.. When he refused I became enraged! Anger was from his false promises of sending money and me counting on it and it never arriving. My savings and credit are shot because of his false promises. My ? is ---Can I sue ex for the last year of pure mental anguish? (Example-- He promised to send $ for school activities, so I wrote checks. $ never came..I know Im stupid...Honestly didnt think he would deceive his kids... The bank charges were well over the hundred $ mark..)Is there any way I can sue under a different reason? thanks for the advice>......

G

Grandma B

Hi Penny,

How in the world has he gone 10 years never being ordered to pay child support??? Unbelievable!

Unfortunately, I don't think the mental turmoil he caused you to endure is grounds for a suit. However, I believe you're pursuing action against the State due to their mishandling of your case, and I wish you luck in that.

I hope you're a woman of faith (you'd have to be to have raised 3 children alone). One of my favorite sayings, and I truly believe it, is "Time wounds all heels". A lot of people get by doing a lot of low-down things for a lot of years, but eventually it catches up with them.

L

lovingmom

GrandmaB-- youre awesome!!Thanks!

GrandmaB, thanks for the advice.., but it seems every time I seek answers towards financial help from ex, the end results are slim to none...How do people get away with doing wrong, but always seem to prevail in the end? Im to the point it doesnt matter anymore..My children, twins 16 and a 14 yr old are almost grown..Its been 10 yrs and it has went in a blink of an eye.. 10 from now, the kids will have lives of their own to deal with...Ill always be there for them..they might not have had the material things, but I have suceeded in raising wonderful , caring and compassionate kids...
I have a court date for Apr.--Our 1st child support hearing..the state of MS has awarded me 1200 a mo in ch support..Heres the new breaking news----Ex has quit his 100,000 yr job..., says he wants to stay home now.I know this is a tactic of still avoiding ch support... Please and advice and what are my chances?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">