• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my husband's mistress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tetecher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
My husband's mistress, a flight attendant in Miami, called to tell me of their affair in Dec.2007. She also sent pics via cell phone and email to prove that it was true.
I am now getting a divorce and was wondering if there is any action I can take against his mistress, with whom he is still involved. Please let me know ASAP.
Thank-You in advance

acmb05

My husband's mistress, a flight attendant in Miami, called to tell me of their affair in Dec.2007. She also sent pics via cell phone and email to prove that it was true.
I am now getting a divorce and was wondering if there is any action I can take against his mistress, with whom he is still involved. Please let me know ASAP.
Thank-You in advance
It has happened before. Most recent case I remember was a man who sued his wifes boyfriend for alienation of affection after wife left him and moved in with the guy. The husband won over a million bucks. Of course the new boyfriend was a millionaire

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank-You in advance
Neither massachusetts nor Florida allow alienation of affection. You cannot sue her for that contrary what A said.

tetecher

Thanks to all for your answers...I just didn't think it was right that she gets off scott free with my husband of 33 + years, as her prize....

CourtClerk

Why are you trying to sue her? She didn't have a committment to you, your HUSBAND did. Had he kept his vows, there would be no affair to speak of. She didn't destroy your marriage, he did.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Well, you can't sue for STEALING your husband because your husband is not property ~ slavery was outlawed.

COVETING your husband is also not on the books as one that you could sue for.

ADULTERY is not a good thing, but no longer one that requires the person to wear an embroidered A on their clothing.

I might suggest that you seek counseling over this.

Idori

What effect does adultery have on a divorce settlement typically? Is there some typical award above the normal splitting of assets that she can ask for due 'anguish' over lies/pictures sent to make her distraught?

VeronicaLodge

Thanks to all for your answers...I just didn't think it was right that she gets off scott free with my husband of 33 + years, as her prize....
why, she didnt break any vows to you, she had no obligation to you. your husband broke his vows, take it out on him during the divorce.

Silverplum

What effect does adultery have on a divorce settlement typically? Is there some typical award above the normal splitting of assets that she can ask for due 'anguish' over lies/pictures sent to make her distraught?
That would be a MA-specific thing, and I'm not up for the googling. ;)

tetecher

To Idori, thank-you, I can see you understand where I am coming from.
To the others, I am in counseling and it does help, I no longer want to kill him. I know he's not my property and I know she didn't break her vows to me. I do know that they both broke vows to God and I am confident that they will both get their just rewards.
Thank-You all again

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I also found that adultery is a prosecutable (is that correct??) offense in MA, although not likley to be pursued.

How do you know where the adultery took place? From the OP it seems to have happened in Miami - although I suppose it could have happened at several different places (and altitudes!)

tetecher

Yes it happened in Miami and other places as well as other countries and YES probably at different altiitudes. I am looking into the adultery as a felony in MA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">