• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i sue my husband's mistress?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
Yes, in NC you may.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=NC%20alienation%20of%20affection&pbx=1&oq=&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=9d2547909deacf81&biw=862&bih=251&pf=p&pdl=500&safe=on

Proserpina

Misto :)

http://tinyurl.com/6wr7e7j

OP, you can sue yes - but what do you hope to gain? Unless the other party has substantial assets, you're likely only going to continue the heartache.
And if you have kids with your husband, it's really not going to do them any good either (since it will be a completely hostile act against your husband, too).

Last edited:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
Sure you can (as stated by the previous posters), but what exactly would you hope to accomplish?

It takes TWO to tango. Do you think that if you sue this one, and you manage to scare her off, that he won't find another one to replace her?

If you're looking for a legal solution to this problem, then I would suggest your money into DIVORCE instead.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Sue both your husband and his lover. You can definitely make her LIFE miserable if you get a million dollar judgment -- she can work off sleeping with a married man. Sue your husband for divorce and ask for alimony. Then both he and the girl he rode off on can both pay you for the rest of their lives.

Sweet revenge.

Proserpina

Sue both your husband and his lover. You can definitely make her LIFE miserable if you get a million dollar judgment -- she can work off sleeping with a married man. Sue your husband for divorce and ask for alimony. Then both he and the girl he rode off on can both pay you for the rest of their lives.

Sweet revenge.

Exactly how likely is a million dollar judgment?

Do we have to compare how many cases don't result in such a thing to the one or two which do?

We have nowhere near enough information to even comment on the alimony issue.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Exactly how likely is a million dollar judgment?

Do we have to compare how many cases don't result in such a thing to the one or two which do?

We have nowhere near enough information to even comment on the alimony issue.
True. Not enough about alimony. But I posted links before. The funny thing about North Carolina -- judgments are NOT based on the ability to pay them. They are based on the harm done.

Proserpina

True. Not enough about alimony. But I posted links before. The funny thing about North Carolina -- judgments are NOT based on the ability to pay them. They are based on the harm done.

I don't want to hijack further, but isn't Illinois the other state that actually still goes ahead with AoA suits in the same manner as NC?

(I know there are several states which do have AoA on the books, but most don't pay much attention)

OP, please come back and actually write us a post telling us exactly what's going on :)

mistoffolees

Aside from alimony and/or a big alienation of affection award, be sure to ask the court to make Hubby reimburse OP for all the money he dissipated on this romance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't want to hijack further, but isn't Illinois the other state that actually still goes ahead with AoA suits in the same manner as NC?

(I know there are several states which do have AoA on the books, but most don't pay much attention)

OP, please come back and actually write us a post telling us exactly what's going on :)
I do not know truthfully.

mistoffolees

And what if his lady on the side was his Sugar Mama and did the spending on him?
In that case, he wouldn't be dissipating marital assets, obviously. :rolleyes:

Of course, it's extremely unlikely that he didn't spend ANY marital assets. Gifts, meals, travel costs, etc. Even if she was a Sugar Mama, he probably spent something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">