+ Reply to Thread
    denise daniels is offline Junior Member

can i sue my husband's mistress?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by denise daniels View Post
    Why don't you sue your husband? He is the one who cheated on you.
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    Yes, in NC you may.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=NC%20alienation%20of%20affection&pbx=1&oq=&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&b av=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=9d2547909deacf81&biw=862&bih=251&pf=p&pdl=500&safe=on
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member
    Misto

http://tinyurl.com/6wr7e7j

OP, you can sue yes - but what do you hope to gain? Unless the other party has substantial assets, you're likely only going to continue the heartache.
    And if you have kids with your husband, it's really not going to do them any good either (since it will be a completely hostile act against your husband, too).
    Last edited by Proserpina; 12-12-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    sandyclaus is offline Senior Member
    Sure you can (as stated by the previous posters), but what exactly would you hope to accomplish?

It takes TWO to tango. Do you think that if you sue this one, and you manage to scare her off, that he won't find another one to replace her?

If you're looking for a legal solution to this problem, then I would suggest your money into DIVORCE instead.
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Sue both your husband and his lover. You can definitely make her LIFE miserable if you get a million dollar judgment -- she can work off sleeping with a married man. Sue your husband for divorce and ask for alimony. Then both he and the girl he rode off on can both pay you for the rest of their lives.

Sweet revenge.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogal View Post
    Sue both your husband and his lover. You can definitely make her LIFE miserable if you get a million dollar judgment -- she can work off sleeping with a married man. Sue your husband for divorce and ask for alimony. Then both he and the girl he rode off on can both pay you for the rest of their lives.

Sweet revenge.

Exactly how likely is a million dollar judgment?

Do we have to compare how many cases don't result in such a thing to the one or two which do?

We have nowhere near enough information to even comment on the alimony issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proserpina View Post
    Exactly how likely is a million dollar judgment?

Do we have to compare how many cases don't result in such a thing to the one or two which do?

We have nowhere near enough information to even comment on the alimony issue.
    True. Not enough about alimony. But I posted links before. The funny thing about North Carolina -- judgments are NOT based on the ability to pay them. They are based on the harm done.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    True. Not enough about alimony. But I posted links before. The funny thing about North Carolina -- judgments are NOT based on the ability to pay them. They are based on the harm done.

I don't want to hijack further, but isn't Illinois the other state that actually still goes ahead with AoA suits in the same manner as NC?

(I know there are several states which do have AoA on the books, but most don't pay much attention)

OP, please come back and actually write us a post telling us exactly what's going on
    Look at these:

[url=http://www.gailorwallis.com/news/North-Carolina-Divorce-Lawyers-Alienation-of-Affection-Lawsuit-Sends-Message.html]North Carolina Divorce Lawyers: Alienation of Affection Lawsuit Sends Message[/url]

[url=http://www.rosen.com/divorce/divorcearticles/alienation-of-affection-and-criminal-conversation/]Alienation of Affection[/url]

[url=http://www.examiner.com/infidelity-in-national/another-betrayed-wife-sues-her-husband-s-mistress-for-big-bucks-and-wins]Another betrayed wife sues her husband's mistress for BIG BUCKS and wins - National infidelity | Examiner.com[/url]

How likely is OP to get millions? Don't know. But she can sue for them.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

mistoffolees is offline Senior Member
    Aside from alimony and/or a big alienation of affection award, be sure to ask the court to make Hubby reimburse OP for all the money he dissipated on this romance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proserpina View Post
    I don't want to hijack further, but isn't Illinois the other state that actually still goes ahead with AoA suits in the same manner as NC?

(I know there are several states which do have AoA on the books, but most don't pay much attention)

OP, please come back and actually write us a post telling us exactly what's going on
    I do not know truthfully.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mistoffolees View Post
    Aside from alimony and/or a big alienation of affection award, be sure to ask the court to make Hubby reimburse OP for all the money he dissipated on this romance.
    And what if his lady on the side was his Sugar Mama and did the spending on him?
    mistoffolees is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nextwife View Post
    And what if his lady on the side was his Sugar Mama and did the spending on him?
    In that case, he wouldn't be dissipating marital assets, obviously.

Of course, it's extremely unlikely that he didn't spend ANY marital assets. Gifts, meals, travel costs, etc. Even if she was a Sugar Mama, he probably spent something.