• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I violate a no contact order with a personal website?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobbb321

Indiana;

Years ago I made a website for my wife as a present. The website url still has her name. It has been over a year since we have divorced and I use it as an online diary of sorts. I own the rights to it and such, and the only way that she might be able to see it is if she goes to it and reads it. The url/tags have our name (not maiden), and I update it regularly.

Can I violate the order this way? Is there anything online that might give me any info about this? As I see it, I am not contacting her directly. But keeping an online blog that she can or not look at.

quincy

Indiana;

Years ago I made a website for my wife as a present. The website url still has her name. It has been over a year since we have divorced and I use it as an online diary of sorts. I own the rights to it and such, and the only way that she might be able to see it is if she goes to it and reads it. The url/tags have our name (not maiden), and I update it regularly.

Can I violate the order this way? Is there anything online that might give me any info about this? As I see it, I am not contacting her directly. But keeping an online blog that she can or not look at.
If the website was a present for your wife, why are you using it? Shouldn't it be under your ex-wife's control?

I recommend that you do not post anything about your ex-wife online. But, that said, what you can and cannot do will depend on exactly what the no-contact order says you can and cannot do.

Last edited:

RRevak

Indiana;

I'm sure you aren't using it as an online diary hoping she might stumble upon it, right? :rolleyes:

Seriously, if she has a no contact order on you then you need to find a better place for your "diary". Either you did something pretty wrong or you engaged in behavior that made the courts feel uncomfortable enough to tell you to stay away from the woman. If you're using HER page as YOUR "diary" i'm going to bet stalking was somewhere in the mix (because quite frankly, using your ex wifes page as an online diary isn't normal). Get your own page and leave this womans alone because if she pushes hard enough, i'm quite certain such website could be used against you depending on what your journaling topics might be.

RRevak

MY mantra tends to: If you must ask, you likely shouldn't.
That's exactly what I was thinking. If he has to ask, seeing as he "feels this doesn't warrant contact" and she "can or not look at it" then more than likely he is well aware that what he's doing potentially violates the order. I'm also betting its on purpose...those darn no contact orders can really cramp some peoples style ya know.

single317dad

I'm sure you aren't using it as an online diary hoping she might stumble upon it, right? :rolleyes:

Seriously, if she has a no contact order on you then you need to find a better place for your "diary". Either you did something pretty wrong or you engaged in behavior that made the courts feel uncomfortable enough to tell you to stay away from the woman. If you're using HER page as YOUR "diary" i'm going to bet stalking was somewhere in the mix (because quite frankly, using your ex wifes page as an online diary isn't normal). Get your own page and leave this womans alone because if she pushes hard enough, i'm quite certain such website could be used against you depending on what your journaling topics might be.
That was my first thought as well, that OP is looking for a loophole where he could "just throw some things out there" in hopes that the ex might find them and react. The court could easily see that as communication, and if so OP would face Invasion of Privacy charges.

Not only that; if OP is telling stories publicly identifying the ex, I can see a C&D and a defamation suit in his future.

Proserpina

Given that it's not that hard changing the tags etc., there's no reason why OP doesn't simply remove any and all reference to his ex.

Unless, of course, **************..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">