• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a minor child be questioned by police without parent present?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fletcherrastas

i have a 9 year old son who was fighting in shcool with a girl who is also 9 years old. The principle of the school of the school decided to call the police on my son and file charges of assalt because the teacher broke up the fight and he(my son)says that she kept threating him and saying not so nice things to hime which led to him slapping her in the face that was the assalt. Anyway,my question to you or someone is,Did the police officer have the right to question him before he had a legal guardian or parent there with him at the time of questioning in the state of NY because the principle said it was just a simple police report.I know that there is nothing simple when the police are involved. I know that he was wrong but were they wrong to have just him, the principle, and the police officer there questioning him like that?

concerned fletcherrastas

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You have posted your question(s) on the wrong Board. This is the Family Law Board. Please go back to the "Forum Page" and choose the Criminal Board, and re-post there.

Thank you.

IAAL

W

wolfie

In my State, the police can question the child without parents present, but the child can refuse to talk without a parent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">